I think my guineas are broken!

furbabymum

Songster
7 Years
May 6, 2012
Burns, Wyoming
I have 10 guineas. 5 of them are a month older than the other 5. The older ones were kept in the brooder with my similar aged chicks for a full 6 weeks. Now I'm finding the younger guineas are perching high in the rafters at night and my older ones are staying on the coop floor. Doesn't that go against all of their instincts?

If the younger keets are getting picked on by the older group... that tends to force the picked on birds to seek the shelter/protection of the high roosts sooner than later. It's a little odd that your older batch is sleepin' on the floor, but I'm sure they will catch on soon and start pushing th eyounger keets out of all the best roosting spots. I wouldn't say your older batch are broken, lol, but ya hafta remember... not all Guineasread the rule book, lol.

...not all Guineasread the rule book, lol.
goodpost.gif

RobertH

Last edited:
If the younger keets are getting picked on by the older group... that tends to force the picked on birds to seek the shelter/protection of the high roosts sooner than later. It's a little odd that your older batch is sleepin' on the floor, but I'm sure they will catch on soon and start pushing th eyounger keets out of all the best roosting spots. I wouldn't say your older batch are broken, lol, but ya hafta remember... not all Guineasread the rule book, lol.
Lol. True. I just thought it was weird that my chickens were up roosting on things and my guineas were chilling on the floor whilst the young ones were up in the rafters with the peacocks. I couldn't even keep the peacocks in the brooder. They were pacing so much being kept at ground level that they wore a huge groove in the floor. I finally just let them out and they immediately flew to the rafters. Guess my guineas are just "special" lol

Back
Top Bottom