I think my hen is egg bound -- how long to wait before intervening?

citychicks99

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
My hen has been in the same spot since I put her to bed last night, so it's been about 15 hours. I think she's struggling with laying an egg. I can see her vent breathing a bit heavy, like she's trying to push an egg out. She's also making a trilling noise.

She did the same thing this time last year and sat in the nest box for a long time. I'm pretty sure she isn't broody. I don't remember how long it took her to come back out, maybe 17-20 hours.

How long should I wait before giving her an Epsom salt bath?

Edit to add that I gave her two 600mg calcium with vitamin D tablets. She pooped a little when I picked her up.

Last edited:
If she's been in the same spot for about 15 hours and is showing signs of strain, it might be best to give her an Epsom salt bath sooner rather than later. Waiting another couple of hours could be okay, but if she's still showing signs of distress, it's better not to delay.

If she's been in the same spot for about 15 hours and is showing signs of strain, it might be best to give her an Epsom salt bath sooner rather than later. Waiting another couple of hours could be okay, but if she's still showing signs of distress, it's better not to delay.
It's been 20 hours and I was getting things ready to give her a bath but when I went to check on her I saw that she got up from her nest and is walking around and eating and seems normal. Her vent is a little dirty though and still no egg. I'll keep an eye on her and continue giving her calcium for the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom