i think my hen is in shock from a duck attack?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BuskerDoo, Jun 17, 2011.

1. BuskerDoo

BuskerDoo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    We have 2 cayuga ducks (one make one female) and a few hens.
    This afternoon, I let our hens out to free range, and when I went to put them away, the wyandotte was just frozen still. I went over to her and she didn't flinch at all when i approached. Her eyes open and standing, though wings slightly slack and tell not totally erect. I worry that when I wasn't looking, it's possible one of the ducks harassed her. But this happens every once in a while and usually it doesn't end like this!
    I put her in the coop, but she wont even perch, she is just sitting in the corner.
    Could she be in shock. It was all of a sudden that her behavior changes. She has been perfectly healthy.
    I know drakes can be aggressive, could it be something related?
    Any advice on how to snap her out of it, or care for her in the meantime would be super appreciated.
    -thanks so much!

2. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    will she eat? take treats? perhaps she needs a quiet warm place to calm down and have some treats.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] If your drake has been breeding the hens, it is quite possible that he has seriously injured her. The reproductive tract of chickens is not designed for the insertion of "objects"; ie, the drake's penis. Keep her isolated in a quiet place and hopefullly she will recover. If the drake is breeding the chickens, they should be separated for the safety of your hens. Good luck in resolving this situation

4. Nimby Chickens

Nimby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    I might be wrong but that sounds sort of like a seizure.

If it is, she is probably exhausted. Put her in a dark, quiet area and let her rest for a while. She might be just fine after some sleep, but it is hard to tell when another seizure could strike. Keep an eye on her.

5. BuskerDoo

Jun 13, 2011
    Thanks for all the advice!
    Drakes and hens are now separated.
    The troubled hen did sleep on the floor of the coop, no roosting. In the morning she still had a full crop which is unusual. also she had watery stool in the early morning, that was cloudy white/bright yellow. Could this be a broken egg?
    She walked around a bit today and late this afternoon
    she did lay a formed, kinda funny shaped egg , though I noticed while she was laying, her face/comb and wattles drained of all color.
    After she left the nest, she regained her color, though still washed out a bit.
    So strange. Has anyone noticed this in their hens during egg laying, or could it be related to the shock (or seizure) post-drake attack. By the way, no one witnessed the attack, its just my best guess, cuz he can be a pain.
    Any other thoughts on the pale wattles/ slightly egg-y looking stool would be appreciated.

6. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I'd say it's shock related, between the suspected breeding and perhaps having trouble passing an egg because of it. The watery stool could be from a broken egg, but you mentioned that her crop was full, so it could be from that. When much isn't coming out of the crop into the digestive tract, not much comes out. Usually it's watery and white with vibrant green. This could very well be because of the drake attack. When they have such a large shock to their system, the crop can be affected.

If you continue to see trouble, try giving her messages in the crop area. The important thing is to move in an upward, slightly inward motion very gently. From what I can tell this is what normal crop contractions do, and I've had success with it.

Have you seen any other discharge from her vent, or any blood? The fact that she passed an egg is a good sign!

Good luck with her! Keep us posted!

7. BuskerDoo

Jun 13, 2011
    Thanks for the thorough response blue myst! That makes perfect sense that the watery stool would be from no crop action. I'm glad to hear that you think its a good sign that she passed an egg. As for the other signs of discharge, she has her usual kinda poopy-butt, but thats not that abnormal for her. Her vent looks ok. no blood.
    In general, i think she is perking up. Tonite she is roosting with the others, so she must be feeling a bit better.
    Thanks so much for you guidance, I'm sure all will be better soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by