I think my hen is laying an egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ticks, Aug 14, 2008.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    two of my free rangers (RSL) are not freeranging in the patch of brushes like the others, foraging for food, they are sittign sown, almost squatiing over by there run. I think they might be having an egg!

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    They don't typically lay this late in the day, but when mine started they'd do that for a couple days before actually laying the egg, so don't worry if they don't lay one immediately! Even now, my grown hens sometimes take 1/2 a day in & out of the nest box before they finally lay. Congrats!

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I heard that they could lay whenever, in a recent post.

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    They can lay whenever - I remember watching one of my bantams getting ready to lay for the first time.

She was almost frantic - imagine a little lady in an old fashioned floral dress, trying to find the bathroom in a busy shopping mall! [​IMG]

5. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    My neighbor's Polish just layed an egg at around 5 this evening. They lay whenever.

6. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    My White Leghorn and Barred Rock that just started laying this week have been laying late in the afternoon or early evening........I would say even as late as 6 or 7 in the evening a couple of times.

7. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] I can imagine it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by