I think my hen is sick

Dodgersmomma

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 26, 2011
My sex-link hen has been sneezing alot the past couple of days. She is acting normal but she stopped laying eggs. The average temp. is about 99-102 but it never seemed to bother her. Can someone tell me what they think? If she is sick, will my baby chicks catch it?

BY no means am I am experienced, still learning myself....

With that mentioned, I had mine sneezing all the time too, when they were younger. I think it was mainly because I was giving them fresh ears of corn, and the squirts of juice were going up the nostrils. LOL Not really funny, but it kind of was.

The wood shavings may have played a part too, the dust it puts out. They seem fine now, and have adjusted to what ever it was.

Now and then they sneeze, but not like before. Hope a more experienced person comes on to help.

The only time you really have to be concerned with a sick bird is if 1. Its eyes are swollen shut, 2. Its got runny mucous coming out of its nose, 3. Mushy poop is stuck all around the vent, or 4. Any combination of the 3. She probably just has something stuck up there, or allergies. As for the eggs, her cycle is probably over. The seasons are changing so the daylight will be wreaking havoc with hens' egg cycles.

Back
Top Bottom