I think my new flock has MG

I have a trio 2 hens and a rooster I bought that were already a year old when I bought them and all the rest of my chickens I bought as chicks or hatching eggs. The chicks are 3 months and younger and the 1 year olds are probably 2 years old now. The first to show symptoms was a 3 month old rooster and now the 1 year old rooster is showing symptoms.
Where did the chicks come from?

MG testing is fairly cheap. Call your state lab today. They will tell you exactly what to do.

Can you take a clear video of the current eye bubbling bird?

Where did the chicks come from?

MG testing is fairly cheap. Call your state lab today. They will tell you exactly what to do.

Can you take a clear video of the current eye bubbling bird?
The chicks are all from NPIP certified breeders. The bubbling has stopped now, it was very mild in both eyes. He had clear nasal discharge also but his symptoms only lasted around 2 days. I have a pullet now with rattled breathing, sneezing and coughing but no bubbles in her eyes.

The chicks are all from NPIP certified breeders. The bubbling has stopped now, it was very mild in both eyes. He had clear nasal discharge also but his symptoms only lasted around 2 days. I have a pullet now with rattled breathing, sneezing and coughing but no bubbles in her eyes.
Npip does not always require you to test for mg in certain States

You need to know for sure what you have. Guessing is just that....A Guess. If you have to cull one of your birds and send the bird to the state to test, then you should. I'd cull a roo since they are easier to replace.
I've culled my own flocks for disease and it just about killed me. The only way to know for sure is to send and pay. And if I remember right MG is passed from hen to chick through the egg. I've bought plenty of birds over the years from npip flocks which didn't mean didly when they got sick. Npip needs to change what is required for testing disease wise to keep all invested on producing healthy birds.
Certain diseases can remain in the soil for a long time which makes getting rid of difficult.

Mycoplasma can be spread by many things, including mice and many species of wild birds. NPIP varies state to state and doesn’t always include checking for mycoplasma. You state lab should be able to send you a vial of testing solution and sterile swabs to collect samples from the slit in the roof of the bird’s mouth. The sample must be shipped cold and overnighted. They can do a PCR test from that. I just did it in my state. Haven’t gotten the bill yet, but I wanna say they said $30sonething?? Of course it will probably vary state to state.

I just wanted to update everyone, I sent one to my state lab and the test for MG came back negative and for all the other diseases they tested for. So still not sure what it was, I can only guess once again. They didn’t test for Infectious Bronchitis so I assume that’s what they had.

Back
Top Bottom