I think my rooster has gone bad

Larkspur88

Songster
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
South Carolina
My rooster has been so great up until yesterday. He turned around and attacked my foot for no reason! Puffed his neck feathers up and everything. Scared the crud out of me. He's about 13 weeks old. I noticed he's been torturing the girls a little. Not flirting but grabbing their feathers and shaking them a bit and scaring them, but then after his little tantrum he will strut around and be fine. But this morning he grabbed a younger roo and had him by the wing. I about got a shoe to throw at him but he let go. And then I did my routine morning feed and he did the whole puff up and I will ear your foot thing again so I whacked him before he could.

Is my rooster evil??? D: he's totally going somewhere else asap if this crap doesn't stop. He did all this after politely sitting in my lap yesterday morning while I ate pizza rolls after a hen stole one off my plate and he never stole one. He was being a gentlemen then. Jeez.

No he is not evil but he is hormonal, coming in to his own and testing you. Now is the time to stop that behavior. When he starts that flaring the hackles and posturing, reach down grab him up off the ground and put hijm under your arm in a football hold and tell him NO sharply. Each time he does it, grab him that second...and if need be carry him around for a few minutes. Humiliate him and let him know YOU are head bird in that coop. If she swat at him, run, squeal and etc...at his age, you will set a pattern with him...make the pattern "I run this place not you".

He is has to understand you are not going to hurt his girls and that you can come into the run and coop whenever you want to. But it can be corrected most often.

Here is a cute story for you....about a bad rooster and his girl...she fixed him. lol

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=249928

Last edited:
I had the same issue with one of mine, I grabbed him by his legs and put him in the coop and locked him in there for a couple hours, thats the bad boy room lol, hasnt done it since.

I had one cockerel that was getting human aggessive. I tried picking him up and carrying him, making him back down by walking towards him, etc. He continued to misbehave and was very tastey. I was willing to see if he would settle down, but once it was clear that he wasn't, I wasn't going to keep an aggressive roo around.

i have a banty roo that has a foot fetish. We let him in the house to play and he will make love to my slippers or my wife's shoes if he can find them. Sometimes he tries to love my feet too. He is such a horny little bird! But not mean,just a lover.

He is testing you. When mine have done that I gave him a whack and sent him clear across the yard. He didn't come back for seconds.

My rooster will be 13 weeks tomorrow. Last night he flew straight up in the air at me when I walked into the chicken run with the food in a big puff ball like he thought he was something. I've done enough reading on here, I grabbed him by his feet and held him upside down till he chilled out then I tucked him under my arm and carried him around while I was doing stuff in the yard and he had his rooster "time out" for a good 15 minutes. I did not let him go till he could walk away from me calmly.

We never were planning to keep any rooster, but I won't send him to live with my friend if he's gonna cause trouble either.
hmm.png

I sooooooo know where you are coming from, i have my very own human aggressive roo, he is down right mean!!! my DH grabs him when he starts and holds him there for a while, i've given him a good whack before but i've drawn the line now, he's tested our patience for months, its time to let him go. He attacks anybody that comes onto our yard, even my 3yr old DS, we have tried everything. Sometimes theres just no saving them but i have given him 4 months of corrective treatment so i've been fair. Unfortunatley thats just the way it goes sometimes! i hope you have better luck
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom