I Think My Rooster is in Love with Me!

Rattie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 5, 2012
Help! My sweet young Welsummer roo (16 weeks old) is starting courting behaviour, but only towards ME! He drags his wing and dances for me, hops on my back when I squat down near the coop, and pulls at the back of my hair like I'm a hen! Has anyone else ever seen this? Thanks!

Help! My sweet young Welsummer roo (16 weeks old) is starting courting behaviour, but only towards ME! He drags his wing and dances for me, hops on my back when I squat down near the coop, and pulls at the back of my hair like I'm a hen! Has anyone else ever seen this? Thanks!
Ooh, that sounds awkward...
hmm.png
We had a roo that used to do that with us, but only the wing dragging and dancing part.

Well I never had one go quite that far but I did have one young roo who would bring me things like little bugs, twigs, bits of hay. He'd lay them down in front of me, look at me and cluck like he does when he's found something for the hens. Silly thing, but he did grow out of that pretty quick.

haha! OK, this sounds like it's not too abnormal - the hair-pulling thing is a little...awkward, but as long as there's no cloaca action, I guess I can stand it til he grows out of it. Thanks to all!!!!

I had a little cockrel (like 2 weeks old) who started mating my hand.
sickbyc.gif
I wold reach my hand in to get their waterer or something and all the sudden he'd just jump on. Can anyone say "EW!"? I'd just knock him off. It's a dominance thing. Roosters will even do it to other roosters. It's not romance. don't worry.
lau.gif
Show him you're the boss and he'll stop.

Back
Top Bottom