I think one of my babies is a Speckled Sussex!

welovechickens

Songster
10 Years
Mar 7, 2009
Round Rock
I think one of my chicks is a Speckled Sussex! She's got a long, narrow face, and no cheek puffs like the Ameraucanas. She also has the dark brown "V" on top of her head. Oh well, it's nice to have a variety! LOL

I also have a mystery chick. She was supposed to be a silver-laced Wyandotte, but she isn't growing like the others. Her body is the same size as the others, but she has absolutely no tail at all, and her wings are still these tiny stubby things! The feathers on the other chickens are around 4 inches long now, and hers are maybe an inch? She looks like a penguin...poor thing LOL. Her feathers are black and yellowish-white, instead of the black, grey and whitish that the other SLW's are.

I did take pics, but don't have them online yet. I will post them soon and you guys can try to help me figure this one out!

I sure hope you have a SS! They are sweet and beautiful. But, there are other breeds that have that same appearance: Welsummer and Brown Leghorn are two that I know of.

SS will have whitish legs, Welsummers have yellow legs if that helps. Once you get pics up, I'm sure someone will know for sure what you have. Whatever it is, it is nice to have a little diversity! Have fun with your babies!

Edited to add that there is a SS/Welsummer/Brown Leghorn thread with pics in the "What Breed of Gender is This" section. I think it will help you figure out what you have.

Last edited:
If you want to see my SS chick @ 5 days, she's on my byc page, the one at the feeder in the first pic with chickens in it. You can see her markings better in that next shot. She's my favorite so far. My wife claims full ownership of that one
smile.png

~Mark

Thanks everyone! I was out of town all day and didn't have a chance to post a pic. I will post one tonight! She seems sweet-natured, though a bit timid. She is going to a new home around 8 weeks though, so I have been holding off on really making her a pet...since I can't keep her.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom