I think one of my chicks and dying. Help a newbie out!

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
Im so upset. First timer here and we just bought 4 assorted breed chicks on Friday. They all seemed totally healthy until yesterday afternoon. My white Leghorn (about a week or maybe less old) was sleeping standing up away from the other 3 chicks. I didn't think much of it till later in the day when she was under the brooding plate and the others were active and doing regular chick things. Checked on her multiple times in the evening and still the same. She as under the plate and the other girls were cuddled on the other side of the box. I should add I live in Florida and they are in a warm garage as it is. The temperature in there was 88 degrees. Checked on them one more time before bed last night and it was all the same. She was under the plate (still standing I should add) and the others were all the way on the other side cuddled.

This morning she is in bad shape. Still under the plate so I pulled her out to check. She didn't even try to scurry away. Her eyes opened then she closed them In my hand immediately. I inspected her and don't think she has pasty butt, but still cleaned her a bit. I put her on the floor to see what she would do and she just laid there. It seems like she's having trouble walking now. She won't drink water and won't really walk on her own.

Is this hopeless? Any ideas on what could be happening?

Add a teaspoon of sugar or molasses or honey to a quart of water. If you have a syringe drip some of the water on the chicks beak. The chick should respond by allowing you to drip some in her mouth when she opens her beak. Do no give the chick the sugar water for a long period. Just a few hours at the most then switch her to plain water.

if you have some probiotic with electrolytes for the water, switch to that. Some raw egg yoke will give her some food and energy.
Make sure she doesn’t have pasty butt. I see that you checked but check again and make sure.

Finally you can keep her warm by holding her in your hand. Do so after getting some water in her and some food.
Good luck.

Im so upset. First timer here and we just bought 4 assorted breed chicks on Friday. They all seemed totally healthy until yesterday afternoon. My white Leghorn (about a week or maybe less old) was sleeping standing up away from the other 3 chicks. I didn't think much of it till later in the day when she was under the brooding plate and the others were active and doing regular chick things. Checked on her multiple times in the evening and still the same. She as under the plate and the other girls were cuddled on the other side of the box. I should add I live in Florida and they are in a warm garage as it is. The temperature in there was 88 degrees. Checked on them one more time before bed last night and it was all the same. She was under the plate (still standing I should add) and the others were all the way on the other side cuddled.

This morning she is in bad shape. Still under the plate so I pulled her out to check. She didn't even try to scurry away. Her eyes opened then she closed them In my hand immediately. I inspected her and don't think she has pasty butt, but still cleaned her a bit. I put her on the floor to see what she would do and she just laid there. It seems like she's having trouble walking now. She won't drink water and won't really walk on her own.

Is this hopeless? Any ideas on what could be happening?

I just had one like this. She was far behind my others in growth as well. She was a constant chirper since hatch but i couldnt find anything wrong. As they neared a wk old...i noticed her lack of energy.

I did electrolyte water ....

She was found laying with her eyes shut breathing fairly hard...

I offered her some water with honey in it...by putting her beak into the water...

In the end...i culled her...

She was suffering...and imo dying...

(Not an expert)

Good luck with your chick

I just had one like this. She was far behind my others in growth as well. She was a constant chirper since hatch but i couldnt find anything wrong. As they neared a wk old...i noticed her lack of energy.

I offered her some water with honey in it...by putting her beak into the water...

(Not an expert)

Thank you
Add a teaspoon of sugar or molasses or honey to a quart of water. If you have a syringe drip some of the water on the chicks beak. The chick should respond by allowing you to drip some in her mouth when she opens her beak. Do no give the chick the sugar water for a long period. Just a few hours at the most then switch her to plain water.

if you have some probiotic with electrolytes for the water, switch to that. Some raw egg yoke will give her some food and energy.
Make sure she doesn’t have pasty butt. I see that you checked but check again and make sure.

Finally you can keep her warm by holding her in your hand. Do so after getting some water in her and some food.
Good luck.
tha k you

(Not an expert)

So sad. Im sure you did right by her. My girl passed away shortly after posting today.

Thanks for sharing with me.

Good luck.
Thanks for all the tips! sadly she died shortly after I posted my message. But I will hang on to your advice for the future!

It is so upsetting when one of the little ones doesn't make it. Some of them just aren't able to thrive. While I don't think there is anything you could have done here, I feel confident she knows you tried and felt the love from that.

Back
Top Bottom