"I think she's trying to tell us something!"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amorrill, Sep 13, 2012.

1. amorrill

amorrill Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    SW Wisconsin
    My girls are free range when we are home. I'm sure I'm not the only one whose hens will show up on the front walk demanding treats when they see me through the window. I've been surprised lately though, when they have seemingly come to get me to show me things.

The first time this happened, I noticed my little banty, Beyonce clucking her head off on the front stoop, all alone. I went out to see where the others were and what her problem was, and she just turned, and walked under the hedge they all like to hang out under. I peeked in there just in time to see her hop up and join the others on a new perch they had discovered. I seriously think she was showing off for me.

Tonight, around dusk, we were watching some TV on the couch after dinner, when at the window two feet from my head, my EE, Goldie flew up squawking. I thought she was being murdered, so I ran outside. There was no apparent danger in the yard, nor any of the other hens. Goldie seemed calm, and headed toward the coop, so I followed her. The other hens were up on the roost, and Goldie is lowest on the pecking order, sometimes they won't let her up. I always check when I close up the coop, and move her if she's hiding in the nest box. My best guess is she was tattling on them for just that tonight, because when I got there, she hopped right up and there was a bit of a kerfluffle, but they all know I'm boss and let her be.

I swear, half the time, I think those birds are brainless, and then other times, they almost creep me out...

1 person likes this.
  2. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    Too funny, yes chickens are very amazing!

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I've learned that chickens are like that. You wonder how they're alive, they're so stupid, then they do something that just seems light years ahead of their evident capabilities. Mine come and tell me whenever there's something wrong. But then I do have the one big mouth. She just hollers. For nothing that I can tell, so she must be tattling and telling me all sorts of gossip is all I can figure.

4. BeulahBreezes

BeulahBreezes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Western NY
    Don't cha just luv our 'brainless' birds!!!? lol,lol! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by