i think sunny is gonna get the boot....

Justino

♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫
12 Years
Dec 21, 2007
KY
Sunny, my leghorn roo is becoming meaner and meaner for no reason....not at chickens but at me! I really dont want to give him away but i dont want a mean roo in my flock....so i think we are gonna give him away.....he pecks hard at my hand and pecks at my back....not like a hen play peck but a hurting bite! I try to handle him everyday but it doesnt seem to do anything....so hes gonna go.
sad.png

I know whatcha mean, I have a silkie roo (imagine, a little silkie) who is getting meaner, now he grabs the girls by the feathers and makes them scream. Every morning when they all pile out of the coop, he jumps out and chases the other roos back in.
So my bachelor pad is done, and the 3 trouble makers (2 BLP too), have gone into there. I need to rehome them, I have 3 other roos with the girls that don't seem like trouble makers.

oh yeah, sunny is my test egg....my very first chick hatched.....i cant beleive he turned out like ths...
sad.png

My leghorn roo Henry is the same way with me. Very good with his girls but seems to hate people now. I handle it 3 ways. I catch him at night and carry him around awhile and make him sit on my lap. I have a big sq box that I put over him when I'm trying to do something in the run and also as someone else suggested I have a squirt bottle with apple cider vinegar and water in it and I get him right in the face with it. He backs down real fast. In fact he knows what that blue bottle is now and tries to avoid it when he can.

I've been told that leghorn roos have a reputation for acting like this.

Jacie

roosters will turn mean sooner or later.lest ways most will get mean.your only choice is to put up with them or cull them.an personally id cull them.because you cant have you or your kids getting hurt by the roo.i wont have a roo with my hens at all.

I have a couple of leghorn roosters that I have had for about 3 yrs and they are only mean to other roosters that try to get to their hens but they don't bother us humans at all. Now the polish roosters were mean and my beautiful Pendenca rooster is starting to get mean toward my dd who is 12 yrs old.

jackie

My roo was getting mean and I was mainly scared for my grandkids, I could still make him leave me alone though, but he was attacking everyone else.
He's in the freezer now and my girls don't miss him a bit.

Too bad, being your first test egg and all. I think I would change his name to "Stew". Who needs to put up with attitude from a bird...
smile.png

It could be an agressive strain that his parents and generation where. Comapnies dont care about niceness of the bird as long as it lays eggs. They where not meant for pets just egg production. It really blows that he may have to go. I am so sorry
sad.png

My Araucana rooster was really nice to me, very gentle, but ended up attacking one of my hens badly. He tore off the entire back of her neck behind the head. I could see bone.

She lived but sadly he did not. I always wondered if it was because my chickens don' t free range but are in yard...

To heal her wound, I sprayed it with first-aide spray, then liquid bandage. Worked great, just FYI for chicken wounds that are large.

Back
Top Bottom