I think the hatchery swindled me :( What do you think

karobcharob

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2015
Chugiak Alaska
So I ordered some Black broilers from a hatchery 14 weeks ago and none of the chickens are big enough to butcher. I have ordered Black broilers in the past and butchers them at 10 weeks and they were 6-8 lbs. All my broilers in the past had Yellow legs and all of this bunch has black legs. Did I get the wrong birds. Can any one tell me what kind of chickens I did get. The biggest chicken I have is 6 lbs.

That is what I was thinking I hope they are Marans I would love some chocolate egg layers. I guess I will find out when I get my first egg. My plane is to keep them for layers, the funny part of this is I spent $24 on two dozen Maran hatching eggs 3 weeks ago that come tomorrow. I will have more Marans than I know what to do with.

I don't think you were swindled since Black Copper Marans are much more expensive to buy than black broilers. If they are Marans (they do look like it), now you will get awesome dark brown eggs instead.:)

I will take the swindled back but I am going to contact the hatchery just to see what they say and see about getting some broilers for the freezer. I did butcher some of the roosters but I wish I would have waited longer the big ones were still small. I don't think I will have to wait to long for them to start laying I was told anywhere from 20-25 weeks and they will start to lay :) they are 14 weeks right now.

Back
Top Bottom