1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think the "Old Way" is making a come-back!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sticks22, Aug 14, 2008.

1. sticks22

sticks22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Grove, oklahoma
    Along time ago people used to bring their fresh eggs to market, make a few pennies and then use the money to pay back their tab at the town store! Where has that idea gone? Is it really gone? Are their any places that still do business this way?
    Also.... I seem to think that the penny pinching is still alive and well, but I think that alot of city dwellers dont know that things used to be alot better in the old days in some respect. People had more respect for the farmer and the land that they lived and worked on. I also felt that same connection to the land. I have always felt that way when I was growing up.
    So what happened? Why is the world so dependant on the all mighty dollar?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  2. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I don't have an answer to your question. I just feel the same way you do. Land, animals, and growing plants have always made more sense to me than city living or the pursuit of money.

3. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I do it. Our community is very small (under 500 people) and we only have a few businesses. One is a coffee shop with Fair Trade coffee. I trade my eggs with them for whole bean coffee.

[​IMG]

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    We live in a small town where everyone knows evryone and thinks they know everything! [​IMG] However sometimes thats a good thing. We are lucky some of the local business owners are old enough to remember "those days". We still have "tabs" around here. We also sell our eggs to the local town folk. So I guess you can say, its still alive and well in some places. [​IMG]

5. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    BTW, [​IMG] Sticks22!

6. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Last night all my friends laughed at me when I said I was thinking of getting some chickens! [​IMG]

7. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Quote:Wait till their eyes glass over when you start "bragging about the new babies...they are sooo cute, and, oh did I mention my girls just started laying the most perfect eggs.... and did I tell you the funny thing the ladies did today?" [​IMG]

8. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Quote:We live in a very rural area of less than 1000 - but it is very spread out because it is agricultural. Don't blink, you'll miss "downtown", which consists of a motorcycle shop, the post office, a small diner and a pizza shop, as well as a couple churches, the community center, and a few houses. The feed store just went out of business after being open since the late 1800's.

Unless you're family or very close friends, most business owners around here don't do "tabs" any more.

However, I sell my eggs to local town folk and have often given them the eggs telling them to pay me later.

I agree, its a lost treasure.

9. Chickending

Chickending Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Minnesota
    I have a barter system with the farmer down the street, he gives us one beef steer a year and we give him the equivilant in eggs and chickens for the year. I raise over a hundred cornish for him and he has a never ending supply of eggs in exchange.

How is that for a deal!

10. Ladysonja

Ladysonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    What I like about this forum is that I am reminded of the old ways and love it.

Learned how to:

Make home made butter last night from heavy cream...

Carmel from condensed milk...

Pluck a chicken.

Not to mention all the ways to keep the girls safe, dry, well feed and disease free.

I was raised a country girl, lived the city girl way, but love the country girl life all over again!

Sometimes you have go away to experience life outside where you grew up to appreciate what you had before and are able to come back to.

Too bad my little town has exploded just when I moved back to be a country girl again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by