I think they might all die…

Sorry for your loss. I would treat with the maximum Corid dose, or use sulfa antibiotic (sulfadimethoxine, SMZ-TMP.) Do you have them with other breeds? My faverolles were very sweet, but timid, and other birds could keep them away from food or water. So I always have multiple smaller feed and water stations in and outside the coop.

Sorry for your loss. I would treat with the maximum Corid dose, or use sulfa antibiotic (sulfadimethoxine, SMZ-TMP.) Do you have them with other breeds? My faverolles were very sweet, but timid, and other birds could keep them away from food or water. So I always have multiple smaller feed and water stations in and outside the coop.
I have them in with the adults and also smaller babies. The adults have their own coop and babies have their own coop but they all share a large run. There are multiple water stations and inside each coop is an age related food, chick starter in the baby coop, adult feed in the adult coop. There are no bullying issues. The babies have places to hide and everyone keeps to their own for the most part. I’m just confused as to why it’s only the faverolles who are acting sick, the other babies are completely fine and so are adults. I thought coccidiosis was highly contagious?

also, what is the maximum dose? I’ve been putting 1 1/2 tsp of corid in their water.

I have them in with the adults and also smaller babies. The adults have their own coop and babies have their own coop but they all share a large run. There are multiple water stations and inside each coop is an age related food, chick starter in the baby coop, adult feed in the adult coop. There are no bullying issues. The babies have places to hide and everyone keeps to their own for the most part. I’m just confused as to why it’s only the faverolles who are acting sick, the other babies are completely fine and so are adults. I thought coccidiosis was highly contagious?
Adults will have developed resistance to the coccidia strains in your yard/region and if the other not affected chicks are descendents of your own adults they may have inherited at least partial resistance through their parent stock.

Or they may still be too young to show it as coccidiosis usually starts at around 6-8 weeks of age.

also, what is the maximum dose? I’ve been putting 1 1/2 tsp of corid in their water.
That is the maximum dosage of the powder per gallon, and if the liquid Corid is used the dosage is 2 tsp per gallon. You may also give a drench of the undiluted liquid Corid 0.1 ml per pound once or twice daily given orally. If using the powder you can mix 1.5 tsp of the powder and 2 tsp of water, and use that exactly 0.1 ml per pound.

Adults will have developed resistance to the coccidia strains in your yard/region and if the other not affected chicks are descendents of your own adults they may have inherited at least partial resistance through their parent stock.

Or they may still be too young to show it as coccidiosis usually starts at around 6-8 weeks of age.
That makes sense. The chicks are direct descendants and I think younger than 6-8 weeks. Thank you.

That is the maximum dosage of the powder per gallon, and if the liquid Corid is used the dosage is 2 tsp per gallon. You may also give a drench of the undiluted liquid Corid 0.1 ml per pound once or twice daily given orally. If using the powder you can mix 1.5 tsp of the powder and 2 tsp of water, and use that exactly 0.1 ml per pound.
I ended up losing 4/7 and I thought i was going to lose another but she made a very nice turn around, hopefully she continues to improve.

Back
Top Bottom