I think this is obvious but just to make sure

Uncle Chicken

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 22, 2013
Our first year raising chickens. This is 5 month old Curry. Curry I figured out months ago is a Golden Laced Wyandotte. We think he is pretty and not mean. But he is all by himself at the moment. When I say He, we thought Curry was a She. But a week ago we heard Curry crow. Curry does not crow very often. So further investigation it seems judging by the pointy saddle feathers, dark red comb, spur nubs, and the occasional crowing it seems Curry is in fact a Roo. Are we in agreement? Thanks for your responses ahead of time.

Yes, those are rooster hackle, wing and tail feathers.
Does he have friends?
All his friends went to market. We have new friends but they wont get out in the tractor until next week. So currently he is by himself. We pay attention to him daily. Whats going to happen is he will show in the county fair first of Aug and hopefully find someone to use him. If not I guess he goes to market with the current batch of meat birds when they are ready. Hope we can find someone that has a use for him. Bummer for all involved otherwise....

Thanks alot.

You have a good eye! He is a rooster, you caught all the signs.
Thanks. It was harder to tell when he was younger. But the last month or so his feathers really started coming in nicely. Was hoping for eggs next month. Not now... :(

Save a couple of your meatie pullets for eggs until your new birds start laying then butcher the meaties.
Since he's alone, he should take to the new birds quickly.

Last edited:
Save a couple of your meatie pullets for eggs until your new birds start laying then butcher the meaties.
Since he's alone, he should take to the new birds quickly.

If you do this, read up on broiler feed restrictions to increase longevity or the broiler hens won't live long enough to produce eggs. People on the Meat Birds, Etc. thread will probably know what you need to do to keep them from bulking up so much they keel over and die around 20 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom