I think TSC pulled a fast one on me.

sweeterdeeter42

Songster
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
I got two white leghorns out of the straight run leghorn bin last week. Today I went to a different TSC and they had a bunch of white leghorn pullets left from last week. I got two of those as well, thinking that if the ones I got last week were roosters, at least I have some hens. BUT, I get home and put them with the leghorns from last week, and the two supposed pullets have way bigger combs than the two straight run I got last week. Are the new pullets roosters? They are pretty feisty compared to the other ones too.

New "pullet"
82189_dscn1849.jpg

The straight run chick
82189_dscn1852.jpg

I understand where you are coming from, I got a Buff Orpington "pullet" that I believe is actually a roo. But I also remember reading where it said that they are 95% guaranteed to be the sex that is listed, so I can't get upset with the store. I just hope that my straight run chick is a pullet or buffy will become dinner.

aside from comb size difference and leg thickness(cockerels have thicker legs and feet than pullets) you can sex them by checking their wing feathers. cockerels will only have 1 layer where pullets will haqve a double layer of feathers on their wings.. also, cockerels are slower to feather out than pullets. If one or more don't get their shoulder feathers(females grow these 4-6 days before the cockerels do) within 2 days of when the others do, then you know which ones are pullets and which are cockerels.

Quote:
Seriously? I had no idea about any of this except the comb and legs, (as I run to the chicks to check their wings. lol)

Quote:
No, they definitely have the leghorn body type.
smile.png

Also thank you for posting all the tips on telling the sex of chicks. I am horrible at it, but addicted to trying. My friends call all the time and ask me to look at the chicks theyhave. They say "you have been around chickens a long time, what do you think?" I say I am better with chicken behaviors!!!!! LOL LOL

Back
Top Bottom