I thought I had barred rock chicks, not so sure now..

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by courtneebot, Oct 21, 2015.

1. courtneebot

courtneebot Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2015
    I posted about having a rooster in another thread but I thought this would be a better place to get some answers, and also because I now have questions about the breed. I purchased them from a farm store who had told me before purchasing that they were barred rock, which was one of the breeds I wanted. They didn't have any speckling but I just assumed it was because they were still young, about 2-3 weeks when I purchased them. They are now 4-5 weeks old and still no speckling. They are mostly black with some white patches and I believe one of them may be a rooster. The one I believe to be a rooster has a much larger comb, is extremely dominant and slightly aggressive, and also has much, much shorter tail feathers. So if anyone could tell me what breed these are and if I've got a rooster?

The entire flock!
    [​IMG]

Most of the white is on their chest/ head.
    [​IMG]

The possible rooster's comb
    [​IMG]

Another picture of all the birds.
    [​IMG]

Natural lighting picture of the "rooster's" comb.
    [​IMG]

This chicken has the most white (don't worry, that plug isn't left that way, I had just unplugged the heat lamp to take better pictures and plugged it back in and out of the way afterwards)
    [​IMG]

As you can see here the middle chicken has a very, very short tail. Where all the others have a long tail like to far left chick.

[​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    It looks like you have some Black Australorps not Barred Rocks.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Much better pics here than in your New Member introductions post. I don't see any barring in them and agree with Chicken Girl1 that they look like Black Australorp chicks. No wonder your "Barred Rock" chicks looked so dark in your other post. :eek:)

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Australorps. I think you'll be just as happy with them as the Rocks, they're fantastic backyard birds.

Just for future reference, a barred Rock chick will have a white/cream spot on the top of the head. That's linked to the barring gene, so it makes them easy to spot from other black chicks.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    australorps are a very popular breed

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They look like Black Australorps to me, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by