I thought I'd seen it all........

I call that type of turtle "loggerhead". I have tried to pick them up. They can turn so fast it is not safe to try. Maybe you could get a broom stick in their mouth and them move them

Just get a firm grip on the tail BASE with one hand, slide your other hand underneath the bottom shell, and hold on tight! That is THE only safe way to carry a sizeable snapper.

We loaded her up by gently getting a plastic manure fork under her and putting her in a big plastic pale.
She was so hot and dry that I bathed her in room temp spring water and she seemed so relieved.
Released her into the brook on our property.

So wonderful of you to take care of this turtle. I am sure he/she was very happy to be back to where it belongs.

If it was female, she was either looking for another pond to reproduce or either she was looking for a place to nest. You won't see a snapping turtle free ranging unless they're ready to lay eggs or when they're looking for a mate. My female turtle has been trying to escape my pond. She finally quit when I finally found a male and put in there now she's fine.

Back
Top Bottom