I thought onion family was out with ducks...

RebinNH

Songster
Jun 15, 2022
And yet my three decimated all the leaves on my alliums and they didn't bloom. Anyone else have their ducks eat the leaves on allium (onion family)?

It seems a crap shoot as to what they will and will not eat. That was totally unexpected. For example they seem to like to hang out in my bed with the self seeding CA poppies. I don't yet know if they are eating them or not. Last year I planted them turnips for the greens as I read how much they're supposed to like them and they seemed to care less. Also they're not that into lettuce when I chop it for them and the jury is till out regarding kale. I was wondering if anyone bothers to plant purslane or chickweed.

I ordered a case of sardines and got the wrong ones with salt. I don't see how much salt is added. Do we think that would be bad for them this one time?

It seems a crap shoot as to what they will and will not eat. That was totally unexpected. For example they seem to like to hang out in my bed with the self seeding CA poppies. I don't yet know if they are eating them or not. Last year I planted them turnips for the greens as I read how much they're supposed to like them and they seemed to care less. Also they're not that into lettuce when I chop it for them and the jury is till out regarding kale. I was wondering if anyone bothers to plant purslane or chickweed.

I ordered a case of sardines and got the wrong ones with salt. I don't see how much salt is added. Do we think that would be bad for them this one time?
Mine prefer all of their greens chopped and placed in their water, a lettuce-greens soup. If I try to hand them lettuce they push it aside looking for tomatoes, mealworms or soldier fly larva. But, when I add the same lettuce to their water dish, they run in the coop for the night to get it. So Purslane and chickweed grow wild here. Mine love chickweed but don’t really like Purslane. Purslane has thick succulent leaves. I sneak it into their soup sometimes and then they will eat it. I have no idea on the sardines but I would not expect them to eat them. I doubt the salt would be good for them either.

Last edited:
They actually love the sardines with or without sodium. I just read that ducks do need some sodium (and many duck feeds do not add any) but I have no idea if these 190 mg. spread over 3 days would be too much for the three.

I tried adding the chopped greens to water and (even during the winter when there was no option for grass) they turned their beaks up. Funny.

Thanks for the info on the chickweed. I have seeds and will plant them. we'll see.

Do you grow Comfrey? my flock loves it. I had read some years back that it was being used as livestock feed so I actually have one plant left and when it leafs out I pick a few leaves and hang it up so everyone can rip off some and eat it. I tried starting seeds and thought I had them well protected but I came out one day when they were about an inch tall to see one of my chickens had eaten every young plant.

Do you grow Comfrey? my flock loves it. I had read some years back that it was being used as livestock feed so I actually have one plant left and when it leafs out I pick a few leaves and hang it up so everyone can rip off some and eat it. I tried starting seeds and thought I had them well protected but I came out one day when they were about an inch tall to see one of my chickens had eaten every young plant.
Mine love Comfrey too! I found plants at the nursery several years back. Like you, I came out to find all but one eaten by my ducks. That one I protected with a wire cage. Now that my ducks are fenced off away from it, it is huge. Thanks for reminding me. I think they will get some today.

Back
Top Bottom