I thought putting them in at night was going to be easier!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nuttyredhead, Nov 19, 2010.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I have a flock of bantams, silkies all small breeds. I put in my newest chickens (small breeds as well) in tonight after dark. I have heard that works well... Not In My Coop!!!! I was putting them on the roosts (the roosts below my original flock) then the leader of the new girls starts in on my milli fluer d'uccle/silkie mix . OH MY it was like a cat fight in the coop lol!!! One jumped on the other they fell to the ground, the noises they were making were crazy!!! I ended up taking my new tough girl and seperating her for the night, still in the coop just no access to the rest of them. Yikes!!! We shall see what tomorrow brings lol!!!

2. LeghornLisa

LeghornLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    I'm sorry. I had a similar thing happen here...I now have 3 separate coop areas and runs...good luck!

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

You actually put them on the roosts by hand? [​IMG]

I've never had silkies, so I'm not aware of their hopping or flight capabilities, so is this standard practice? I know if I tried to place a chicken on the roosts just any old place there would definitely be a squabble! They each have their roosting place and I cannot mess with their pecking order...or the pecking will start! [​IMG]

Maybe you should allow them to establish their own roosting places to restore peace to your coop? [​IMG]

4. nuttyredhead

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:LOL!!! I had to laugh, i needed to give more info! They new 6 just came out of quar. (in the garage) and i was putting them in the big coop by hand, it was very dark. [​IMG]

5. nuttyredhead

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Seems to be going well so far. THe tough girl from last night has been put in her place by my little Silkie! They are sticking to their own sides of the coop.... I put out cooked outmeal for them but there are no takers....

It was funny though...2 of the girls were squabbling at each other, and my little Rooster went over and started making a noise at them (never heard this noise before). They stopped pronto. He must have told them to can it lol!!!! [​IMG] Ive never seen that happen before!

6. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I am getting ready to introduce my young silkies and 3 young pullets to my flock of 7mos.-2 yr.olds------very nervous! Glad it's working out for you. I think I'm going to try what you did, as I don't have a coop neither is territorial over big enough for all of them. [​IMG]

7. Land of Lost Toys

Land of Lost Toys Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Ohio
    Over the past month I introduced 2 hens and then 4 hens to the rest of the flock. Since I picked them up in the morning and the others were already in the run, I actually put them in the coop through the nesting boxes. Each one looked around inside then came out into the run. The original flock was like.... 'Where the heck did you come from?" There were some looks and a peck here and there and that was it.

Everyone quit making fun for putting the chickens on the roost by hand! I've done that too!! Especially the new ones who tend to be nervous to go up with the original flock. Anyone in the nesting boxes gets the boot and I block the boxes. Anyone on the floor, I pick up and put them on the roost. Then I pet them all and say, "Good Shickens...Good Schickens...." Then everyone is happy.

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Shickens! I love it!! [​IMG] I actually HAVE a shicken....a chicken that likes to ride around on my sheep. She is a sheep-chicken...or a shicken.

I wasn't makin' fun...just picturing how busy I would be if I hand-placed my chickens on their roosts! And just how much fighting there would be if I didn't put them in the order they like..... [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  9. nuttyredhead

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Shickens i love it!!!! So i went to lock up for the night and WOW!!!! 2 of the new ones are up on the top roost with the originals! Who knew!!!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by