I thought roosters fought each other?

I have two males, they mostly hangout with their selected hens. No fighting that ive ever seen.
Since the neighbors can't control their dogs, it's time to beef up your security.
What's the run made out of?
Keep the pullets away from the coxkerels until 18 ish weeks old, see buy no touch introduction is usually the easiest.

So basically they give each other a bunch of side eye? Lol. Glad to know boys get along otherwise.
I wouldn't say a bunch of side eye, when they aren't having a spat, they pretty much treat each other just as well as the hens. Kinda like how in an office, the guys aren't constantly getting into fist fights just because there's a woman near them. They have relationships for each individual, but they aren't constantly on edge and getting mad at each other

I wouldn't say a bunch of side eye, when they aren't having a spat, they pretty much treat each other just as well as the hens. Kinda like how in an office, the guys aren't constantly getting into fist fights just because there's a woman near them. They have relationships for each individual, but they aren't constantly on edge and getting mad at each other
True. I also find it a tad funny that my rooster is so big and bossed around by this tiny rooster. Comical to watch. My baby is a scared rooster.

Attachments

• 20231004_201928.jpg
    20231004_201928.jpg
    552 KB · Views: 14
I recommend you keep your pullets and cockerel separated until they're laying age instead of releasing them at 8 weeks.
Yeah. We have a new fenced in chicken run inside our fenced in yard. It's almost finished. Just gotta finish the top and add some extra stuff to the sides. I had more for the sides but I think I want to add more simply for bigger predators like coyotes and stray dogs (or people who let their dogs run loose).

Attachments

• 16969599856424165540263428640654.jpg
    16969599856424165540263428640654.jpg
    661.2 KB · Views: 15
Yeah. We have a new fenced in chicken run inside our fenced in yard. It's almost finished. Just gotta finish the top and add some extra stuff to the sides. I had more for the sides but I think I want to add more simply for bigger predators like coyotes and stray dogs (or people who let their dogs run loose).
Get chain link for the bottom part or lumber reinforced hardware mesh.

Get chain link for the bottom part or lumber reinforced hardware mesh.
This! Chicken wire is only good for containing chickens, no good at all for keeping predators out. Hardware cloth with half-inch or quarter-inch mesh is much sturdier and you'll need it because that dog now has a taste for chicken and knows where to find it. Is also a good idea to lay the mesh on the ground around the tun and cover it with dirt or gravel to discourage digging. This is called a fencing "apron."
@DobieLover, how far out around the pen should this extend, and how deep should it be?

Chain link is sturdy and will keep the dog and coyotes out, but is no proof against snakes or weasels, nor against raccoons who can stick their arms in and grab a hen by the neck.

This! Chicken wire is only good for containing chickens, no good at all for keeping predators out. Hardware cloth with half-inch or quarter-inch mesh is much sturdier and you'll need it because that dog now has a taste for chicken and knows where to find it. Is also a good idea to lay the mesh on the ground around the tun and cover it with dirt or gravel to discourage digging. This is called a fencing "apron."
@DobieLover, how far out around the pen should this extend, and how deep should it be?

Chain link is sturdy and will keep the dog and coyotes out, but is no proof against snakes or weasels, nor against raccoons who can stick their arms in and grab a hen by the neck.
I would not use 1/4" hardware cloth. It is very weak. Stick with the 19g 1/2" hardware cloth.
Chain link or 1/2" HC can be used for the apron. The HC does not need to be buried. It can just be securely attached to the bottom of the run framing the spread out 18-24" across the ground and pinned on the opposite side with HD landscape pins. The grass will grow right up through it.
Chain link would need some soil smoothed over the top of it until it is no longer visible so grass could grow through.
predator apron.jpg

They are like besties. No hens, nothing. Just two roosters hanging out. I thought roosters disliked each other?
They have absolutely nothing to fight about and chickens being flock animals, they yearn for the company of other chickens.
I never thought the tiny rooster would be the boss of my big baby
It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog. Personality plays a large role in who will be dominant and who will be submissive.

Multiple roosters in flocks can work if there is plenty of space to have their own territories and hens. You now have to confine thanks to your inconsiderate neighbors.

Another option you might want to consider in addition to a predator proof run is to enclose a large portion of your yard with electrified poultry netting to protect the flock from ground predators. That is what I do and I have not had a single loss to ground predators.
You can see the netting in the background here.
Family portrait 1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom