I Tried Vent Sexing my Babies

Quote:
What age?
smile.png

I'm sure hoping for at least one male. I really hope at least Elvis is a boy. I guess, I'm just going to have to be patient.
barnie.gif
It's so hard to be patient after waiting so long for them to hatch and now I just really want to know. Especially since I got them for their egg laying ability. My ideal would be 1 male and 5 females. We'll see what I get.

Maybe what happened with the vent sexing is that sometimes some of the males seem to "hide" their parts in. I have sexed my Pekin ducklings and right now they are about one month old and I actually see the small part you see in male ducks. Of course you have to be carefull, I know when I did it i was but you always have to give it a try to see if it works for you.

If you feel comfortable in vent sexing them again then I guess you can try carefully once more in a couple of weeks, maybe you might see something that time. Good Luck!

Last edited:
With vent sexing ducks or geese at any age it ends up being a definite male or a "maybe" female if done right.

Young males have a small white worm that uncurls when you vent sex them. When you see it, you'll know. As they get older, that turns into a pink, then red color, making it harder to distinguish from the surrounding area. When they are full grown it is extremely easy to tell (once you have the hang of getting the genitals to pop out).

If you have all six females then you're either really lucky or you weren't moving everything around enough. Usually it's easier to sex them once, then recheck the females a few seconds later since everything is "loosened up" after the first attempt.

Being able to sex ducks and geese at a young age is incredibly useful. I don't know how many times I used to buy ducklings from someone who didn't know and end up with mostly males. Being able to sex something on the spot means I know exactly what I have. Plus with geese you can't wait until they grow up and hope for the best - most of your breeds have very slight differences that aren't a guarantee (females can grow up with a "male" looking face, and runt males can look like a more delicate girl).

If you're serious about vent sexing your babies, try again in a few days. If you have access to adults then definitely vent sex them. That will give you a better idea of where to press.

Good luck
smile.png

woot.gif
I had totally forgotten about the white ring. When I went to give them their swim, I noticed that Elvis is starting to get his. Yay! He's the crested one and the one I was really hoping was a boy (since we had already named him). So far the others aren't showing any sign of it, but I'll definitely be watching that. Much easier way to tell than vent sexing, although I still may try that again, just so I know what I'm doing.
clap.gif

I vent sex my ducklings. Always try to do in bright natural sunlight or the brightest light you have in your house... It really helps. If you can have a helper hold a small magnifying glass over the area it can help too!
You're looking for a tiny, transparent, spiral shaped penis. T.I.N.Y.

Back
Top Bottom