I turned Hatching Eggs into a Lesson!

Quail_Antwerp

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs
11 Years
Aug 16, 2008
Ohio
My eggs from Tori (Mrs. AK-Bird Brain) this morning, and my kids were watching me open the box and get the eggs out of their careful wrapping.

They bombarded me with LOTS of questions:

What are they for?
Is there a baby inside?
How are you going to hatch them?
Where's the mom? who laid them?

So this then turned into a discussion about fostering and adoption. I used hatching eggs to teach my children about why some families adopt children and why some individuals give their children up for adoption.

It was a neat lesson, and now my children are really excited about our broody hen "adopting" these eggs and having babies from them.

My daughter even looked at her brother's and said, "It is good that they shared. Henny Penny's eggs won't hatch, so this way, she still gets to be a mom."
smile.png

Wow, what a great lesson too. Stories like this show great teachers. Its not always the book work that children and adults learn from! Great work.
Now, lol, are you going to put up a cam so you can pipe in pictures of the hen each day to give them a comprehension of the wait?
Ohhhh, I can't wait to hear more of how the kids react, they are so knowledgeable yet innocent!

Actually, I don't plan to disturb her. I am going to give her these eggs and late nature kick in from there. Other than putting feed and water in, plus I don't have a cam to put in there
roll.png

We will mark the days on the calendar, though. And I will mark the "due date" for the kids. I have planned a trip to the library for a book on incubation and chick development and some art projects for them to work on during the egg development.

We are also going to visit a friend up the road this week who is a foster mom, so they can talk to her.
wink.png
That counts as a field trip
smile.png

Its a great lesson. Wait until they start to hatch, you can do another one, even during the whole incubation process you could.
smile.png

My daughter arrived home this afternoon in time to see a chick hatch. She had never seen it, and like you said, kids are full of questions! Its definitely a neat experience and I hope your children learn a lot from it.
smile.png

Well we just put the eggs under their Adoptive Mama, and the kids were thrilled! Mama didn't let me put them under her, instead, she greedily took them and rolled them under herself. LOL

Back
Top Bottom