I (unknowingly) bought sick chicks. Maybe this will help someone else.

Thank you for sharing this. I absolutely needed my eyes opened up to the gut wrenching possibilities of bringing in new birds from someone. Just a couple of hours ago, I decided to reach out to someone nearby to purchase some chicks that I've been wanting that she advertised, just so I don't have to bother with incubating. I had planned on getting in touch with her this evening, but I believe I'll just hatch some here. I am so sorry. My heart breaks for you. I too pray that your old birds will be just fine and all of the chicks will recover quickly and completely. Thank you again for posting, it certainly made a huge impact on me. You will be in my thoughts and prayers

Yes as a tester and part of NPIP the breeder should have healthy birds without a doubt. NPIP Almost guarantees that the stock is healthy and suited for selling. Recently it has been hard for farms to get the testing due to lack of supply’s so maybe this is a cause to the problem.

I’m a bit confused. If the farms can’t test because of supply chain issues, then how do they keep their NPIP status? I’m trying to understand premiums for NPIP flocks if the testing is not occurring?

I’m a bit confused. If the farms can’t test because of supply chain issues, then how do they keep their NPIP status? I’m trying to understand premiums for NPIP flocks if the testing is not occurring?

I don't know the answer to this, but in my state NPIP did not matter in his situation. In NC, NPIP testing is only done for AI and pullorum in non-commercial flocks. Only hatcheries and commercial flocks can be MG/MS certified clean.

Edit: this is what my state poultry rep told me about NPIP in NC. I mistakenly believed it meant more at the time I bought the chicks.

Last edited:
For anyone who is interested, I got the test results back today. The sick pullet has Mycoplasma synoviae. Here in NC, mycoplasma is a "reportable" disease, so my results were sent to the NCDA&CS (department of agriculture) poultry health rep for my part of the state. He gave me a call this afternoon, and I was also able to talk with my vet.

The NCDA&CS rep was SUPER nice and VERY helpful. He gave me a ton of information and helped me work on an action plan. Here are a few key things he shared:
  • It is estimated that 7 out of 10 backyard chicken flocks in NC are carriers of MS and/or MG. Many wild birds are assumed to be infected as well.
  • Most backyard chicken flocks in NC are thought to be carriers of some disease or another, though many birds will never show symptoms.
  • They do not automatically recommend culling of backyard chickens that are carriers for MS, as good husbandry and biosecurity can help manage this condition.
  • Flocks that have tested positive for MS or MG be "closed". No birds in or out.
  • Asymptomatic birds with MS are less likely to shed virus than symptomatic birds, but they are still carriers.
My vet and the avian pathologist recommended that I continue Amtyl and Corid for the recommended courses and keep the symptomatic pullet and her broodmates quarantined until I make a final decision on how to proceed.

I'm not doing further testing at this time, but will if anymore birds become symptomatic. As for the infected pullet and her (presumably infected) brood mates, I'm not going to post exactly what I am going to do here. I don't want to leave anyone hanging, but is a personal decision and I don't really want to hash it out on a public forum. What I will say is that none of the flock will leave my property unless it is for vet care or necropsy and I will practice scrupulous biosecurity (chicken shoes/clothes, foot bath etc.) from now on.

Last edited:
He gave me a call this afternoon, and I was also able to talk with my vet.
Excellent!
Well, not excellent your birds are sick,
but that you got the results and have 2 pros to talk them over with.

I suppose you'll share these results with the NPIP farm you got the birds from?

Also, Kudos for sharing this here, a great education and documentation of us here at BYC!

Something similar happened to me. We bought 10 chickens from one store and 6 of them died,☹ the 4 that survived where bought at a different store, then we bought six more at the same place as the 4... none of them died.

Sorry that I worded this kind of confusingly.

Back
Top Bottom