I wanna get ducks need info

chickengirl2014

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
Ft myers, Florida
Hi I need a ton of info I have chickens, so I know about brooders but nothing about hatching and raising pet runner ducks which is exactly what I wanna do please all the possible info need duck knowledge

don't get ducks with the chickens i had one they they where just too aggresive

if you get ducks anyway plz keep them seperated
you should feed them free ranging poltry mix and give them a pond but are just like chickens

I don't have chickens so don't know about mixing them. I have two Cayuga's. They are sweet very different personalities. Do a lot of holding early on so they don't mind being touched.

I have a kiddie pool with a drain and pipe that works well if your not getting too many. This way I don't have to flip it and it works well. I used dog kennels modified with a ceiling and it's a lot cheaper then building one.

Not sure what information you want. Maybe you could ask some specific questions. I use extra egg layer pellets they work well. They also free range pretty much daily. Ducks don't need grit but they have to have enough calcium otherwise they lay soft eggs.

Good luck,

Denise

Have you seen the Duck Forum Stickies? All kinds of hatching and raising information there...
do you have an incubator? Be sure to read the stickies on hatching waterfowl, and when to help.

Then the Raising Ducklings one.

I have runners. Love'em! Got them as day-olds, because I only wanted girls. Having drakes complicates the mix, sometimes a LOT.

Last edited:
If you have your heart set on Runners, I wouldn't fret too much, as they tend to keep to themselves. They're a joy to watch, but if you're looking for a more engaging, affectionate duck, then keep looking. Runners don't really like much human contact and will always stick together tightly as they waddle around the yard in search for bugs!

I do agree that they should be kept separate, especially when they're little - chickens can be nasty to little ducklings!

Also, I'm with Deester - what exactly do you want to know? There's a LOT of information on keeping ducks so if you have any specific questions, please ask!

Back
Top Bottom