I wanna set and forget, What should I get?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Celtic Hill, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    It has come time that I would like to upgrade my LG. I love it! But I want to be able to get expensive eggs and not worry about hatching them. It doesn't have to hold large quantities and I would like it to be less then 200. I was thinking the Brinsea Mini Advanced EX? But I can't seem to find a place to buy it.

What do you guys think?

-Ian

2. fifelakelooper

fifelakelooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    fife lake, mi.
    I wanted a stupid proof incubator (newbie at hatching) and bought a Brinsea Octogan Advance Pro Ex...it is great! Not cheap...holds 24 eggs and you can stack them according to fellow users on BYC.
    I did my first hatch March....8 eggs....6 hatched. No problems. Has a water reservoir pumps into incubator. Recovers RH and temp quickly. I heard Brinsea has a coupon on thier website for $30 off...don't know if it is still out there. Brinsea.com I think will get you to the site to order.

3. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    X2 the the Brinsea Oct adv. you have an option for an humidity pump. TI have been told is the true set and forget incubator. Of course it is ike 450 + shipping... 300 for incubator +150 for the pump. But I have been told it is the cats meow. Meanwhile... I bought an Brinsea eco20 with turner. A little more low tech. for me....

4. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Quote:How do you like the eco20? Eventually I would like to get a cabinet incubator. But right now that's not in my price range and Im not doing enough to need something that big.

5. Gracie9205

Gracie9205 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Lake Charles, LA
    I have the Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco, and the Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance EX. They both perform flawlessly. I have hatched chicken and goose eggs in mine without a problem.

I use the dry hatch method, so you I don't even worry about humidity until lockdown. Just leave the vents wide open and go. Once I go into lockdown, I just close the vents about 3/4 of the way and fill both reservoirs with water (for chicken eggs). For goose eggs that need a higher humidity, I fill both reservoirs with water and drape a paper towel over them. It wicks the water and keeps it at a steady 80%.

For the money, I would buy a brinsea eco and turner. It is very low fuss, and if you are a fan on FB then you can get a 10% off code [​IMG]

If you have the extra cash, you can upgrade to the advance with humidity pump but I don't find it necessary.

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Gracie, I have the Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco, and I didn't have the best luck with it the first time, but I'm willing to try again...(I did get two chicks, so not a total loss.) I really think I fussed with it too much. Was the glass thermometer accurate for you?

Sharon

7. artathart

artathart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    I am ordering my Brinsea Octogon Advance RIGHT AS WE SPEAK. Bye bye LG!

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I have the Octagon Advance and love it. There is a coupon right now for 10% off your purchases through Brinsea. I think it is posted on their FB page and I think it is good until the 15th of April.
    ETA - just in case you do not do FB here is the code FBOS0311

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  9. MountainChickenMama

MountainChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    artathart: Where did you find the advance? They are out of stock on brinsea.com>

10. artathart

artathart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Quote:I ordered it on their website. I called and they said they will have a shipment in tomorrow or Thursday. SO I should have mine in no time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by