I want dark yolks!! Help!

ramboschickens

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 26, 2014
Hi guys,
i have a small flock of 5 chickies...( three leghorns, a buff orpington & a RIR) and i really want them to lay eggs with dark yolks. Like the ones when you are watching a cooking show from the UK..they are super dark orange. Please help. I know that from other threads that I should stick with formulated feed, which im fine with, but would love some tips on additives to their diet so their yolks get that super rich look.
They do get 'free' time most days..in our back yard & garden, but I have to balance that with the dog...who unfortunatly would love to get his mouth on one, so they take turns.

I get pretty dark eggs with my layers, they just get plain old layer pellets, nothing special. But I do give them lots and lots of fruits, veggies, and leftovers from us though. They love rice, pasta, any fruits, vegetables. We live in New Hampshire, and they are locked in their coop for most of the snowy part of winter. Throughout the winter once in a while I toss in a couple handfuls of second cut hay. They pick at that and scratch around in it. I am not sure exactly what part of their diet makes it rich and dark, but those are some ideas as to what it could be. :]

Hi guys,
i have a small flock of 5 chickies...( three leghorns, a buff orpington & a RIR) and i really want them to lay eggs with dark yolks. Like the ones when you are watching a cooking show from the UK..they are super dark orange. Please help. I know that from other threads that I should stick with formulated feed, which im fine with, but would love some tips on additives to their diet so their yolks get that super rich look.
They do get 'free' time most days..in our back yard & garden, but I have to balance that with the dog...who unfortunatly would love to get his mouth on one, so they take turns.
See if you can locate a feed that has Marigold in it...they do make them...and you will have the orange yolk you are looking for.

To get nice dark yolks they need beta Carotene.
Good Yellow Corn, Alfalfa, Chili's, Spinach, Kale, Lettuce, etc. will help.

Back
Top Bottom