I want more chickens! I need help with roosting space.

Beckyhsinglsc

Songster
10 Years
Oct 21, 2009
Gilbert, AZ
My Coop
My Coop
We have 5 nine month old pullets and are hoping to add up to 5 more this Fall.
We live in the Phoenix, AZ area so our coop/run is an open air set up and has to be that way with temps reaching up to 116 lately.
The chickens free-range the yard during the day so the enclosure is only for eating, laying eggs and sleeping.

Anyway, with limited space, I need help figuring out how to find them all protected roosting space. The roost we have now fits 6.
The whole enclosure is covered and one end has 3 walls.
I was hoping I could fit all of the roosts within the area with walls but I don't really want to move the food out where monsoon rain with wind will get the food wet.
I need help! I need to convince the rest of the family this will work so I can get my chickens.
D.gif

I need creative ideas for compact roosts!

43310_dsc_0006.jpg

43310_dsc_0004.jpg

43310_dsc_0007.jpg

Add diagonal roosts between the inside walls. It worked perfectly for us - we had them at different heights so those who prefer to stay lower could do so.

I have seen many coops with what looks like a "ladder" with different heights for roosting on. Obviously you could custom make it for the width and height you require, and I suppose if it could be secured you could make it a moveable one so that you can clean without it being in the way. So you could easily get the 5 or more chickens you are thinking of.
wink.png

How about doing the same kind of roost that you have on the back wall on the right wall as you look in?

Why not just put a second roost parallel to the first, with about 14-18" between them? You would have to move the feeder a bit so it doesn't get pooed on, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Very nice setup!

Quote:
This was my thought too. Only I would then put a dropping board under the roosts to avoid poop in the food. Think if it as adding a "second floor" to your coop, eat downstairs, sleep upstairs.

Some more thoughts:
Perhaps the chickens would prefer sleeping in the open are during summer? I would consider putting in extra roosts there, then leave it up to the girls where they want to sleep.

Your coop is NOT predator proof, chicken wire holds your chickens in, but nothing out. Put hardware cloth instead.

Thanks for all of the suggestions... keep them coming.
thumbsup.gif

The food won't fit under the nest boxes unless I put it on the ground. I really like it hanging, no ants and less waste.

I think the picture makes the side wall look a little longer than it actually is. I could put a roost the same height for 2 or maybe 3 more chickens there, but it wouldn't be enough for all 4 that I need.

I really like the ladders, but I think it might take up more floor space than I have.

I think a diagonal or perpendicular, lower roost with a poop board under the existing roost would work!
wee.gif

I didn't think of poop boards.
I also like the idea of an "outside roost" for summer evenings.

but if I put a roost lower than the existing one will they sleep in the nestboxes?
How much lower would I have to put it to leave room for a poop board and chickens on the lower roost?

Dorte - Do you think hardware cloth around the bottom would be enough? We have a block wall and live in the middle of the city. I haven't seen or heard of any predators around.
My dogs are small and leave the chickens alone.

Becky-In that case, would you have enough space to put a second roost above the first one? Alternately, would it be possible to take one side off of the coop and expand it?

Quote:
No chicken really prefers to stay lower; the lower ranking hens just get stuck with the less desireable roosting spots.

Back
Top Bottom