1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I want more roos!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by crayon, Aug 16, 2011.

1. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    WHY O WHY do the Roos have to be so freaking BEAUTIFUL? Mother Nature has it all wrong... The hens have no issues with each other, why were they not blessed as the most outstanding of the feathered friends?

I have 16 hens- 2 roos. My roos are only 14 weeks old and do have their moments, but I hope once the younger hens (hopefully all hens) get added (making the 16 hens) they will mellow out a bit.

BUT I WANT MORE ROOS! I know- I am crazy.... But every one I see I want to order a roo in the spring! But then I would have to get more hens!

Off to find a wall to smash my head in! [​IMG]

2. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    No your not crazy. Ive got several roosters. I take every free one i can get. So far ive only had to send a couple out of several to freezer camp.

3. Georgia Chik'n

Georgia Chik'n New Egg

Aug 14, 2011
    I have'nt even gotten my first chickens yet and I'd love to have nothing BUT roosters! All 3 of my (bottle fed) Nigerian Dwarf goats are bucks (no does). Did'nt care about breeding, but they WILL be neutered, although they have awesome show bloodlines.
    Of ALL my Dobermans (2 out of 5 were males), both of my Greyhounds, male, and my first Whippet was male.... OH...and a stray declawed, neutered cat (that chose us) is a male. My first 2 Pygmy goats were neutered males............I FAR prefer the boys personalities, whatever the species. So, i too, would love roosters... and really don't care about the eggs! But, hey.... I'm a 'newbie' at this chicken stuff. [​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You'd like my place. LOTS of roosters, all adults, all glorious and of many rare breeds and uncommon colors, all with names and highly pampered [​IMG] I love roosters, they have more to talk about than the girls [​IMG]

5. chicken_chik

chicken_chik Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    I bought a straight run for my first batch of chickens. Got 10 roos and 14 hens.
    I sold 1 GLW Roo to a man with 19 hens, lucky guy... so still have 9 Roos. (That I am still trying to re-home!)

I'd love to keep them all cuz I agree, they are beautiful, and seem to be more social than the hens. They are always first to run to me.
    They grew up together, but seem to pick at each other, and I feel bad for the hens, as they are haggled and pushed around by the boys all the time.
    I am planning to keep 2, but almost feel like that is "pushing it", as I have read over and over that you want 10-12 hens per Roo.

Not to mention it's hard to decide which 2 Roos to keep. Although there are 2 that are not too hard to get rid of, as 1 attacks ALL the other chickens all day long (a bully), and 1 attacks people!

6. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    We have 13 right now. [​IMG] They are all beautiful and not a mean one in the bunch. Three (cockerels) are on their way to a new home shortly. They are brothers and get along fine so far. I wish I could keep them all though.

7. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    Oh you all have given me such hope!!!

My one EEer is quite "attitude" We call him Crazy Bird. I worry most about him. But my SLW roo is just a gem!

I may be tempted to get some more next year!! Maybe one of my 4 week old chicks (got 9 of them) will turn out to be a roo. I had ordered one roo, a Partridge Cochin, with this batch and he died in shipping [​IMG]

I love the:

I love roosters, they have more to talk about than the girls

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  8. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I have too many roos right now, I'm back up to 9 but have gone through a dozen more in the last year. I wish I could have kept them all! I can bring you down a couple!! Actually it looks like I'm going to end up with a Blue Cochin roo if you don't end up with one you like.

9. toripeeps

toripeeps Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    I got 6 bantams; 1 died on day 2 when they were just peeps; out of the 5 remaining, 4 were roos. Beautiful birds but my one little bantam hen was lost in the shuffle. I have 6 plymouth rock white hens who boss the bantams around. I had to give 2 roos away as I had 2 many and they were getting feisty, chasing my grandchildren and pecking at their feet. I hated to give them away but the coop is much calmer now. One remaining bantam roo is a "chochin" we named him Romeo. He is a doll. One is named Rudy (originally called Ruby because he was a late bloomer, and Rosie is my little hen. Just got in three more 2 hens and another little bantam rooster - we call them Laverne and Shirley, and the little gold bantam roo is Fonzi. He is like a puppy, too.

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    So ya want more roos huh?

[​IMG]

I surely could have given you some last year. My girls hatched out about 50 roos last year. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by