I want opinions :) please - Esp from cold climate folks

Quote:
If you make it so it only occupies a portion of the roof ridge, instead of the whole thing, you can locate it so it isn't right over the roost, you know? (Or to look at it the other way around, you can locate the roost so it isn't right under the cupola).

Pat

Alright. Well here's my two pennies...

I think its a very cute design. I like that it's low profile and that the runs are covered. Those low runs could be enclosed in plastic or plexiglass without much trouble, making the runs much more appealing in cold weather. And it would make an attractive addition to an urban back yard.

I personally like the look of the coupla from an aesthetics point of view. I'm not convinced, though, how efficient they would be. Pat is the ventilation expert - I think she has hit the high points here. Besides the humidity problem, I'm wondering, with that flat-ish top roof and not a great deal of overhang, if rain (or snow melt) would drip/run into those upper windows? And just HOW much light is it going to let in? I much more prefer a larger side window that the hens can look out of -- and you can look in. With this design and size, however, a side window is going to blow draft on your chickens while they roost. Also, those coupla windows would need to be closeable for super bad/cold weather, so a plan would need to be in place for how that could be done.... could be challenging to reach it from the inside, so outer storm windows would likely be it.

I'm wondering, with an extra long coop, how you would get in to clean the thing? If you didn't go with the side runs, then the human doors would be on the sides, which would make your life much easier. But with those side runs, your only access is at the front/back. And because you can't walk in, it might be quite challenging to clean. Sure, a rake or broom could sweep out shavings, but what about when you want to wash down the walls? You're gonna have to climb inside.... euwwwww. Looking at the photo where the girl is lying down inside the coop, it looks like the nest boxes might/could be removed to give you easier access? If building on your own, I'd make sure to include this in your design features.

I'm not a fan of the floor pop door. I know lots of people have them, but I think that they are difficult to close at night and make a mess in your run when the shavings fall out all over the place. I'm much more keen on a door in the side of the coop, one that is 6-9 inches off the floor level so that the shavings stay inside where they belong. When looking at designs with the pop door in the floor, make sure there is a plan for closing it that doesn't require getting down on your hands/knees in the run....

For 6 birds I don't think you really need 4 nest boxes. I'm guessing two at the max. Save the rest of that floor space for roaming around.

As long as I'm at it, I really think that folks in cold, snowy climates need to consider as much inside space as they can provide. You never really know if you are going to have chickens that like or dislike the snow (mine refuse to go out in it) and if they have to stay inside for a few days because of bad weather, then you don't want them to be cramped or they could start picking on each other. I know that others like the recommendation of 4 sq/ft per bird on the inside and 10 on the outside -- my opinion is that it should be double that if you can swing it...

For the money, I really prefer a coop and a run that a human can walk into and close the door behind them. Not that you do that much in the summer, but trust me, when it's 0F outside and the snow is blowing, you don't want to stand there with the door wide open, letting all that precious heat OUT and the snow IN while you're doing chicken chores. Not to mention naughty hens with the intent to escape....

I know it sounds like I hate this coop - I don't. I think it's adorable. But there are some design flaws that need to be considered. Hope this helps you out - CChook.

Neat freak here.

When I look at the design, I start thinking about how easy it would be to clean. I like the designs where a whole wall opens up, and there isn't any lip in the front so you can easily get in there to pick up poops, and for deep cleaning, you can easily sweep/shovel everything out.

Here's an example of what I mean:

http://www.ezcleancoops.com/

I ended up stealing their idea and building my own coop like this. I put sand in the bottom (not good for a cold climate, though) and I clean out the poops every morning. The coop is still pristine even after a month of occupancy.

CityChook, your analysis is much more thorough and better than mine, also I agree with all of your points (esp. about the floor pophole), o.p. take note
smile.png

Pat

CityChook! Thank you so very much.......... You have made so many great points...this is exactly what I was looking for. I wanted someone like you who had done it to pick it apart, so I could see it for what it really is, and then decide if it's able to be improved upon enough-or to just forget it and come up with my/our own design....

I am a suburban born girl, who then became a city girl, who now lives in the country. lol
gig.gif
. As far as my carpenter helpers, they both grew up farmboys!
D.gif

I do think it's adorable too
droolin.gif
...just not as functional as I need (or as it should be ) ........
rant.gif

Yeah, the floor pop door has not looked too enticing to me, and I wasn't sure why; but you crystallized it for me.
big_smile.png

If I wanted to make a coop that looked similar to this, but much bigger, as in at least 6 feet tall ( not including elevation-I'm thinking at least 10 inches- what is standard for a walk-in coop?)

Maybe a 6x8 footprint.....

I started out wanting 5-6 hens....I am much closer now to somewhere between 8-12.
roll.png
When I started out thinking about getting into this hobby, the 8-12 was my :beginner: stopping point. I think that is more than enough....planning on selling excess eggs to co-workers. Some breeds I want are not prolific layers, some are.

Insulated for sure, plenty of ventilation,

Yes, the windows! that is such a great point!

Okaaaaaayyy I think I'm getting a little tired
th.gif

Pat thanks again for the concurrence! (is that a word?)

Thanks Elmo too!

Jacqueline

Last edited:
Quote:
Can I suggest you build as large (footprint) as you can possibly afford. Even if that means doing it with the idea of finishing or fancying-up the structure later on as more funds become available. It is MUCH easier, and rather cheaper, to build larger in the first place than to try to add on or build a second coop later
wink.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom