I want some STANDARDS!!!

Several people here have mentioned that Buff Orpingtons are the friendliest. I have one in my mixed flock. She is the least friendly and is very flightly. Even my White Leghorn is friendlier. I have read so many good things about them. I have been disappointed in her. She also appears to be smaller than many of the pictures I have seen on some of these threads. Maybe it is poor breeding. All of my birds are from hatcheries.

My friendliest pullet by far is a RIR.

Faverolles are very easy going. Mine never make a fuss and they are in with alot of varieties. My Lavender Orp Roo (Buck) is the most Gentle Roo I have ever seen.

I'm semi-new to chickens and doent know much aboput breeds but i see get a chicken breed book from the library one like "The complete encyclopedia of chickens"

All my chickens (15 in flock) are sweet! My two youngest children are always in the coop and they have to be nice and enjoy being held because they are pets first and foremost. I have four roosters (cochin, silkie, d'Uccle and EE/Dorking X) -- two in each run, they get along fine. My two orps are too young yet to lay, the easter eggers (Amercaunas) are very friendly and SO pretty - I have a rumpless partridge (Kiwi) and a white (Melodie). The New Hampshire reds have very easy-going personalities too. I have a few bantams mixed in (D'uccle, cochins and silkies) and everyone gets along. My New Hamphires are close to laying age now, and supposedly are very productive. We'll see ... !

Laura

I took a quiz on MPC and they came up with Wyandottes as gentle and nice, but truth be told - mine are not so friendly. My Barred Rock is. She was a substitution and I am crazy about her. I don't see her pulling feathers or acting mean. She seems to be top chicken in the pecking order always next to the roo and she jumps up for treats and says hello while the rest act like I am some kind of monster and run in fear. I don't pick my chickens up and feed and water them daily I give them treats but only the BR says hello and has since she was a wee chicky.
Cal
Jax FL

As you can probably tell by all the different opinions here, you can go for a docile breed for the best chances, but there are always exceptions, and every bird has its own personality....so there are no sure things.

I will tell you though - since i think your concern is interaction with the bantams - that a good friend of mine has a combined flock that includes bantams, buff orpingtons, wheaton americaunas (i probably spelled that incorrectly), rir, barred rock, easter eggers, black australorps, and probably a couple of other breeds i can't remember right now, and she has a very happy combined flock.

So i'd say you have a good chance with which ever one (or ones) catches your fancy.
wink.png

Since you already have an established flock of bantams I wouldn't worry about them when new standard birds are introduced. What bantams lack in size they more than make up for in sheer ATTITUDE! Don't be surprised if your top hen is one of your smallest.

And I think most heavy breed layers tend to have mellow personalities. Of course individual temperments can vary, even go against type. And the unique dynamics of each flock have an affect on how a bird behaves. A hen who might be top dog in one flock could be the underdog in another.

Go with what you like to look at, try a few different breeds and see what you like. If you're just keeping chickens for your family's egg consumption, you needn't worry too much about getting maximum efficiency from each hen.

And now for my $.02 on the topic: I've found the hybrids, the Red and Black Sex-Links to be the most dependable layers and can give nice BIG brown eggs. But for sheer classic good looks, I love the Barred Rocks.

Here's a suggestion: get one of EVERYthing!

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Haha
lol.png
big_smile.png
You just read my mind. Sadly, I cant since I leave in a suburb thats strict when it comes to chickens.

But so far, i like what I'm hearing especially on BO, Faverolls and RIR. For how many years do these breeds lay eggs and when does production decline?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom