1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I want them to lay in the same place!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sjrld, Jul 11, 2008.

1. sjrld

sjrld New Egg

Jul 11, 2008
    Louisiana
    I have two free range hens. One of them lays in the box I have set up for them. However, the other one continues to lay in my neighbors boat! Is there any way I can get this hen to change her ways, and begin laying in the box I have made for them?

Thanks so much for for any help.

sjrld;)

2. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    I placed an egg in my box with an X on it and after that the hens began to mostly lay in the box. I did have one egg out of the box yesterday. Some people use plastic eggs, gold balls or wooden eggs.

Good luck! [​IMG]

3. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Good Luck with that.
    I have two free range hens that run around the barn. One of them lays in the nest box I put up in one of the horse stalls. The other insisted on climbing through the feed whole in the horse stall to get into the walk way to lay her egg on the hay bale. I tried everything. She was very persistent. I eventually blocked the wholes, then she layed on the stall floor in the corner. So I put a next box on the floor in that spot and she started laying in it. Then I raised it off the ground and now she uses the nest box on the wall. Mind you it is right underneath the other one, but she will not lay in the nest box if there are wood shavings in the nest box. It must have straw.

If I put in wood shavings, she goes back to laying on the floor.

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Show her the nest box, place her in it when se looks like she's about to lay, and place a fake egg inside so she knows she should lay there. Don't use a real egg; it will rot. What is so appealing about the boat? Try to mimick that in your nest box. Good luck!

-EG11

5. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Hi,
    I had one of my girls laying in my shed when she first started so I cooped her up in the pen/coop for a couple of days until after she laid her egg, and then I let her out to free range. It seemed to work as they are all in the proper place now. I would like to see a pic of her sitting in a boat though.
    Anne

6. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I have some freerangers that loved to lay in the woods right behind their coop. So I would leave them penned up for a week or so until they got into the habit of laying in the nest box. Now they always come back to the nest box to lay.

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I had to do the same thing. My chickens came from my sister's place where chickens lay anywhere but in a nest! I had to keep them in the coop until late afternoon for week to get them to lay in the nest boxes. I haven't had anymore incidents of laying in my shed, on the lawnmower or in the dog houses! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by