I want this thread locked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nevermind! I know that it was my fault, thank you all for pointing that out. and I removed my post...because I am very upset and don't need any more uncompassionate comments.

I would suggest to EVERYONE to think before you speak and have more compassion for those that come here looking for support and need your help. Use common sense and treat others how you would be treated! I see alot of posts going unanswered and I think it's very rude!

I have been coming to BYC for a long time now, and have found how rude people are to eachother and actually quit coming for a while because of it. Over something like spelling and grammar! I have been raising chickens for 5 years, love it, love my chickens and I do take very good care of my chickens and accidents will happen to the best of us. 

Good Bye!

Goddes,.
Now you know you are being unfair right now...
In your first post,.. (which you now deleted/edited). You asked our opinion about what to do with your cat... if you should still KEEP him because he has now killed your baby chicks..
And so thats WHY so many respond that its "not the cats fault",.. and to better protect your future chicks from him.
YOU ASKED..
It was an ACCIDENT,.. and a lesson for you. I had to have the SAME lesson with my big dummy dog. She figured out a way to escape our deck and her pen to get into my backyard and "chase"/ kill my birds.. Oh it was baaad.
I learned from that to TRY to protect them better... to fix my deck and her pen and make them more secure.
But shes an escape mastermind(no really, she IS..) and i trust that she will find a way out again someday... *sigh*
Anyways, i never ever even imagined getting rid of her for it... its NOT her fault that shes smarter than me.. :/ and its not her fault that she acts like a dog and wants to chase fast, squeaky things..

Just like its not your cats fault that it wants to chase/kill fast/ feathery birds... its what cats DO.
Thats ALL people were trying to tell you. And now you've turned it into somethng unfair.. :(
Now if you hadnt ASKED what you should do about the situation,..and if you should get rid of your cat for this.... then i suspect that you would have gotten MUCH different responses.
People didnt want you to get rid of your loved kitty because of this mistake(that would be VERY hard on the cat..).... thats all they were saying..
Dont you think what i say is true?
So i stand by my previous post,.. its not the cats fault. Try to find a better way to keep the cat away from the babies...
Because thats about ALL you can do,.. isnt it?
And we ARE sorry about your babies.. it hurts when something like that happens.. :(

Last edited:
It's sad ,very sad when something kills your chicks or chickens. I just lost one of my chicks to a red tailed hawk. I have 5 cats , 19 dogs, 1 sun conure , and a Bearded Dragon. I have to live an learn how to protect my critters. If the circumstances are just right, I believe anything will kill anything else... The bigger my chicks become , I feel they have a better chance of survival. At first I was blaming myself up one side and down the other for my loss. Then I came to the conclusion that I can't expect Mother Natures critters to leave MY chickens alone. I keep my dogs from my cats, and my Bird from my dogs and cats, but those are all one dimensional problems. Protecting chickens seems to be a multidimensional task. It's like writing a paper and making sure you cross all your T's and doting all your i's. Thinking like all predators do would be great but who can do that. The bottom line appears to be " fence fence fence, cover cover cover, hook latch and lock" and don't blame yourself for having to LEARN these things.along the way. Every loss is bigger than it appears, and hurts a lot.

u should have used a squirt bottle to train ur cat around baby birds

i own the queen of all killer cats she can take full grown rabbits grouse mallard duck weasel (long tail) big rats but i can leave chicks alone with her in a room in a box if i tried this with a wild bird she will kill it but i can do it by socializing her with the bird and making it clear the bird is hers if she trys to eat it u yell no and squirt it iss that simple and trust me no cat exists that i have seen more brutal killer than mine but she wont hurt the baby chicks but she will take out a crow or a sea gull u name it even a hawk.

A lot of these chicks were tiny bantam cchicks left open in a box could get eaten by a mouse even. But nothing would dare with the cats around.

Last edited:
I think most of you need to show a little more compassion. this person comes to this site, in pain and almost frantic it sounds like, maybe even shock that it happened. (not to have things sugar coated and I'm not saying to). but maybe instead of posting comments that are rude, you can say something a little nicer, or word it differently.

we are all grown ups here.... come on.

she is obviously upset, and hurting that she has lost a chick and has an injured one.

Maybe instead of stating to obvious, that she should lock up the chicks better (which I'm sure she knows now) you could offer a little advice about chicken first aid for the hurt one, or ask how she had things before, and post about what you experience is about how she could improve.

I'm sorry for your loss, I too have lost chicks and it can be so devastating. I'm glad if anything you can gain experience from this horrible thing that happened, and hope you other chick makes it. If you need anything please feel free to PM me.

Melissa~

I don't think there is a single rude response to the OP. She asked for advice, everyone was very sorry for her loss. No one in anyway was rude. They just responed with very good advice. Keep the cat away from the chicks. I think everyone reilized it was an accident on the OP's part. But no harsh words were thrown.

i figure cats are cats, they live in an eat or be eaten world- whether they're lion, bobcat, domestic cat - they're all predators (given the chance). i love 'em. i know my cats will kill my babies given the chance. i try to keep that chance to a bare minimum. my big orange tabby boy seems to like to hang out in the run w/the big girls. he likes to scope out their coop & sleep in their nest boxes. they can handle him & he watches his step w/them. the smaller black (miniature panther - that's what i call her) doesn't like them at all. she avoids them. both of them would love an opportunity to get at the babies. just goes with the territory.
if one of my cats got to my babies, i would be truely sad, but i wouldn't hold it against the cat. i would go back to the drawing board & figure out how to tighten security - again. my experience is w/my puppy killing 10 of my 14 babies. it was completely my fault & i fixed that flaw in my system, but boy was i mad at her. i avoided her for a couple of days because i couldn't be nice to her - i was too mad.

I don't think there is a single rude response to the OP. She asked for advice, everyone was very sorry for her loss. No one in anyway was rude. They just responed with very good advice. Keep the cat away from the chicks. I think everyone reilized it was an accident on the OP's part. But no harsh words were thrown.

the point i was making is that some of the previous poster could have shown some compassion for the thread starter.

Some simply posted things saying, don't get rid of the cat... nothing more... when you are emotionally distraught and come somewhere like this site and post after a loss, you would *hope* that the people responding would be compassionate. I know i would. I myself have had trouble with this site before, watching my chickens die, while i waited for someone to respond, and nobody even said anything, instead they would rather post comments on a post about someones pipe breaking. it was devastating. I was so busy in "fix them mode" I honestly didn't even think to put them down, nor did anyone even stop to ask me if they where in pain and that i should. I watched all my chickens one by one, suffer until they suffocated on blood coming from there noses and passed away. I was a first time chicken owner I had no idea. I have also seen others bicker, fight, and say rash rude things to others asking for advice on this site before, so i know what she is saying.

I don't and didn't want the thread starter to feel ganged up on, nobody on this site should.

That's all I'm saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom