I want to add to my flock in the spring. Wadda ya think?

chickendude

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Dutchess County NY
I want to add to my flock in the spring. I already have 6 RIR layers 1 RIR/SLP pullet and 1 RIR/SLP roo. I want to add from My pet chicken 1 Blue Cochin, 1Black Copper Marans, 1 Easter Egger and 1 Buff Orpington. ( all day old female chicks ) How do you think this mix of birds will do? They will be in a 60 Sq ft coop. 10x6x8 and a 20x40 run. They will free range only a few times a week due to predators. I like the idea of a mixed color of eggs. Any opinions?

I think you have plenty of space! Sounds like a plan.

My advice is order them early - like february - takes 3 weeks to hatch them & then a month in the brooder before they feather out etc. before you know it, it'll be june

Sounds great! I have a mix...gives me a chance to see which breeds I like best. I would get a couple more EE's though...makes the egg basket colorful. It was a lot of fun seeing what color the birds turned out to be then seeing what color eggs they'd lay. Out of 6 birds I have 1 taupe egg, 1 blue egg and 4 green. Of course, the Marans will give you a darker egg so that will be nice for you.

My opinion would be very much based on the temperament of your RIRs. They are beautiful birds, but my experience with them (hatchery stock, mostly) has been stressful. I found RIRs to be more likely to pick on other birds and RIR roos kind of have a mean rap!

If your flock are gentle, then hopefully the mix will go well. I would encourage keeping the birds seperated by a wire barrier when you are first introducing them (hopefully after the new additions are almost fully grown). I keep younger additions partitioned off so that the older birds can see them and get used to them BEFORE having a chance to pick at them. This will help keep the peace!

Quote:
I was going to say much the same thing.........

Have you seen this article on mixing birds?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

Thank You, DDawn, I knew I had seen that somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

OP, ignore the bits about quarantining (at least in the "ordered as chicks from my pet chicken" scenario) and scroll down to the bottom where the really good stuff about different mixing methods are described.

Thank you all for the encouraging words! As for the RIR I have you (IdealisticRoo) are correct in saying they tend to pick on other birds. My roo is a RIR/SLP mix and so far he is gentle with the entire flock. My plan is to brood them separately until they are big enough to mix and fend for themselves. I plan on sectioning off part of their run and use the smaller coop ( 4x5x5 I have two) and introduce them over probably a 2 month period. I had to do this with 2 of my birds now. It did work well! Your advice will be heeded and put into practice. Thanks ddawn for the great link.

Back
Top Bottom