1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

i want to be a farmer

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by stone_family3, Aug 20, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    But land is so expensive. I want to raise free range chickens for both meat and eggs, as well as ducks. I also want some dairy cows and goats. I just don't know where to start. Anyone know of any special loans or grants to help a farmer get started?

2. NotInThecity

NotInThecity Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    There actually are special loans and grants for young farmers. Check out the Department of Agriculture or Rural Development sites. There is a bunch of stuff available for the first 5 or 10 years or so. (At least there was the last time I was checking.) Also, check with your local extension office, they may have information on some of that.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    That's a grand idea, and I wish you the best at this dream, but DO NOT give up your day job. If possible get a job on a working farm so that you can take part in the 24/7 lifestyle in order to determine if it really suits you. It is a grand endeavor, but is not meant for everyone.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Agree. Spend every free moment for the next two years being mentored by a successful farmer, of whatever specialty that interests you. That person is likely drawing on a life time of expertise and is standing on the shoulders of great mentors and generational wisdom. Farming is a life long learning process. Don't borrow a dime or invest a dime until you've garnered lots and lots of education, first hand. Or, come on over and spend a year with me. Lots of work and chores await, but you'll learn a ton and benefit from 4 generations of experience. [​IMG]

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I farm and ranch with my husband. I wouldn't trade our life for anything, but it is not an easy one. If you like working 24/7/365 and getting a very small paycheck (if Mother Nature is good to you) in return then farming could be something you enjoy.

Our sons are the 5th generation to grow up on our farm and they'd love to return home and farm with us...problem is that in this economy we barely make enough to support one family let alone 3.....and that is on approximantly 1000 acres. Plus they make more at their off the farm jobs and have good insurance to boot than they could ever make here. So for now they come out and help after work and on the week-ends.

I don't mean to sound discouraging, but too many non-agriculture people view farming/ranching with rose colored glasses as an idylic life and have no idea how hard it really is.

I can't imagine trying to start from scratch with machinery and input costs what they are. If we were in debt there is no way we'd have the money to be making loan payments.

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

You might want to check out our sister site, SufficientSelf.com, link at the bottom of the page. There is someone over there right now wanting to have someone come and live on their farm and help work it in exchange for land/proceeds/etc.

You might also read some of Salatin's books for an idea on how much work is involved in living on a farm that actually does pay for itself and pays all the family a living wage....lots of work, lots of preparing, lots of marketing, lots of using cold, hard wisdom when it comes to animal choices, culling for health and consistent production, etc.

Farming is also about killing....that is one thing you just need to know right off . If you don't kill it yourself, someone must, as you cannot run a farm on sympathy.

7. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Thank you all so much for your advise.

8. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:Me too. I've got a decent amount of time to go, though.

9. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    There are several small farmers around this area that offer internships. I think they pay a very small amount and possibly room and board. They get some cheap labor and you get some experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by