I want to buy my first hens

Superbl3u

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2020
My name is Duane. I'm a medically retired US Marine. We just bought our first home together and I'm interested in starting w/ Super Blue Egg Layers to feed my self (my spouse doesn't eat much). I'm looking into coops and runs. I eat about 30 eggs/wk, so... I welcome any hints, suggestions, et cetera. Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the BYC Family!!
We love sharing stories and bouncing ideas off each other.
I have 16 Easter Egger hens that lay blue, green, and pink eggs but Easter Eggers don't lay every day, they lay every other or every three days.
I built my own coop instead of a prefab coop since prefab coops aren't accurate with how many chickens it can hold. Looking at the link @Pork Pie listed is a great start to determine how much coop and run space you need.
Depending on where you live... if it is winter right now, you could plan and research all winter and start building in the spring.
You will want to either have construction underway or done before getting the chicks or hens, because they grow fast!! I didn't even start my coop until I came home expectantly with some chicks... I had to get a move on building the coop, and after 3 weekends of work, it was done.

:welcome

Hi Duane, it's nice to have you here with us! Thank you for serving :)

Good advice to get the coop and run built before you get chickens. Sometimes building projects will take longer than planned but chicks just keep growing (and quickly).

Best wishes!

Hello, Duane, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Super Blues are touted as being able to produce about 5 eggs per week so you'd want a flock of at least 7 hens. I'd get more as production drops during the shorter days of winter, when they age and when they molt. I'd think about starting with just the 7 then adding pullets in the second year.
Plan your coop for 15 birds as chicken math is a real thing. You cannot build your coop and run too big. Shoot for 4 sq ft per bird in the coop minimum and 12 sq ft per bird in the attached run MINIMUM, more is far better for the run. I always suggest building a run with a solid roof that is as predator proof as your coop. That way, the door between the coop and run can be left open and the birds can go outside as soon as they come off the roost in the morning.
Chicken keeping is a wonderful hobby but that is especially true for those that are retired. There is nothing more relaxing and stress relieving than just sitting out with the flock watching them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom