i want to get 2 baby ducks, i have week old chicks now

mistyfeather

Songster
11 Years
Oct 31, 2009
colorado
can the ducks go in the brooder with the chicks? the ducks are 3 days old today and are as big as the chicks. can baby ducks eat the chick starter too? or do they need flock raiser? the feed store was all out of the small bags of flock raiser and i dont think i will need a big bag for only to ducklings.

caf.gif
caf.gif
fl.gif
hoping someone replies
smack.gif

well i put my first chicks in with my pekin and mallards and well i had two die.... if you have a big brooder for them then.... eh... maybe but i personally wouldnt recommend it.. duck get bigger faster then chicks they can easily set on them and hurt them.

Ducklings grow HORRIFICALLY faster than chicks. I have 2 ducklings in the same brooder with 4 chicks, but I have a hardware cloth barrier splitting the brooder into two sections for them. The ducklings' webbed feet were holding down little chick feet, and the chicks were terrified at being unable to move.

Ducks also need water management, which is what I did: cut a slice out of a cottage cheese container lid, put it back on, and the ducklings cannot get into the waterer. They'll take over a chick waterer, if they can get to it.

41679_duklingwaterer.jpg

well her is my up date . i got the 2 ducklings but the chicks picked on them (even in a very large brooder
sad.png
) they wouldnt defend themselves so i made another brooder for them
lol.png
al is well now and the baby ducks are sooooooooooooo cute!
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom