i want to get a light breed duck what do yall think of:

I lost several ducklings to chicken snakes this summer, and I swear they were all girls!! Right now I have four ducks and one drake that are Welsh Harlequins, plus a Cayuga drake that was an extra when they were sent to me from Holderreads. I don't really need that extra drake, but he is just too beautiful to send to freezer camp! If he starts causing problems with my girls, I will try to put him in with the geese.

i love the color on the black east indies and the cayuga's that sheen is just mesmerizing to me.

i haven't had problems with anything but dogs and owls occasionally

Last edited:
Having both chocolate runners and khaki campbells at some point, I liked my campbells way better than my runners. My runners seemed to be more skittish around my other pets and around me. My campbell drake on the other hand went after my dog and treed the cat in the garage! (lol!) After awhile this got annoying though. Also campbells are not as likely to get broody! Mine did and was sitting on 18 eggs before something got her. My campbells would also follow me around when I rode my horse! I might have like the runners better though if we had them longer. If I could get ducks again, I would definetly get khaki campbells.
big_smile.png

i don't mind broodies ;) do like them to lay pretty decent so i can sell and eat the eggs. hoping that the ones i have will some what pay for part of their feed lol if i can make 20-40 a month i will be doing good. will be selling babies as they hatch as well if any go broody and hatch.

Thats cool! I really like my campbell's eggs. But once her and the drake reached maturity it was the end of the line for eating eggs, and hello fertilized ones! You can still eat them if you don't get a broody duck and if you collect them within 2 days of when they are layed. I couldn't though, the thought made me sick. So I decided to let her sit on them. I don't know how that would have ended, she was killed a month ago, so now I have two little eggies in the bator that are due to hatch the 31st. Anyway... the eggs are a litter bigger than chicken eggs, they are longer and about as wide. My runners never laid eggs, they were both drakes.

Here are some pictures of my campbells and runners. I also have rouens but they aren't light, at all.
big_smile.png
All my ducks are laying well and I get 6-7 eggs a day. Also I want to add that my runners are just as friendly as the others in my flock and are usually the first ones to greet me in the morning.

Khaki Campbell's lay more eggs in a year than chickens.

If you are worried about gender ratio, buy them sexed. We offer ducklings as straight run, or will vent sex before shipping to send genders requested. Makes for happy customers.

Back
Top Bottom