I want to hear your thoughts on....COOP SIZE

tx203grower

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013
Bell County, TX
I currently have a flock of 8 hens, and I am looking to get at least 8 more come next spring. Between now and then I would like to begin planning my next coop project. As of now I have an 8 foot long x 4 foot wide x 4 foot tall tractor coop I built, and from what I understand is good for 6-8 hens. I am looking to build a new coop, preferably a tractor type if possible, to accommodate 15-20 birds. Minimally, how large will it need to be? I am only beginning my planning now, and I am looking to hear all ideas and thoughts on this matter.

The picture below is of my current coop. I am hoping I can come up with a larger and improved version to house 15-20 hens, if not more.

Again, I am looking to hear all thoughts and ideas, however the main question remains:

What size coop do I need to house 15-20 birds comfortably?

Thanks!

I’m told the general target is 1-2’ coop space, and 4-5sqft for the run… minimum. So if you can figure out how to combine coop space (high), and have run underneath, you could have a smaller tractor, and presumably lighter.

4-5sqft/hen at 20 hens means 80-100sqft outdoors, and 20-40sqft inside. I don’t see this being a movable tractor unless you put wheels on it!

I don’t know much about your situation, but I know others who make a coop (not movable), or rarely movable, and a run out of electric chicken fencing. They can then move the run in pie-type shapes with easy electric fence posts daily/weekly (whatever you are doing), but not the coop, and only move the coop every week or two. Is that a possibility?

I am thinking about making a portable coop out of an old wagon/trailer, and then using electric chicken netting on a solar charger. Next year’s project!

Yea, that could be a possibility. I do like the tractor type, that's pretty much the reason I made the post. I want to see what kind of ideas I can group together and figure something out. I have seen similar to mine without the handles and a sort of hitch instead. This would allow the coop to be moved in similar fashion using a sitting lawnmower or ATV. This is the design phase, and time is actually on my side. I don't plan on building until the spring. I'm sure I can get something drawn up between now and then, especially with ideas from folks like yourself. Thanks!

I was looking at another thread and saw this:
LL

DallasCriftins is the username. There are 28 chickens in this tractor. Just an idea. You can ask about it if you like. here is the thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/809854/oh-my-gosh-that-was-awesome

Back
Top Bottom