I want to hear your thoughts on....COOP SIZE

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tx203grower, Jul 31, 2013.

1. tx203grower

tx203grower Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    Bell County, TX
    I currently have a flock of 8 hens, and I am looking to get at least 8 more come next spring. Between now and then I would like to begin planning my next coop project. As of now I have an 8 foot long x 4 foot wide x 4 foot tall tractor coop I built, and from what I understand is good for 6-8 hens. I am looking to build a new coop, preferably a tractor type if possible, to accommodate 15-20 birds. Minimally, how large will it need to be? I am only beginning my planning now, and I am looking to hear all ideas and thoughts on this matter.

The picture below is of my current coop. I am hoping I can come up with a larger and improved version to house 15-20 hens, if not more.

[​IMG]

Again, I am looking to hear all thoughts and ideas, however the main question remains:

What size coop do I need to house 15-20 birds comfortably?

Thanks!

2. sarahsunshine

sarahsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    I’m told the general target is 1-2’ coop space, and 4-5sqft for the run… minimum. So if you can figure out how to combine coop space (high), and have run underneath, you could have a smaller tractor, and presumably lighter.

4-5sqft/hen at 20 hens means 80-100sqft outdoors, and 20-40sqft inside. I don’t see this being a movable tractor unless you put wheels on it!

I don’t know much about your situation, but I know others who make a coop (not movable), or rarely movable, and a run out of electric chicken fencing. They can then move the run in pie-type shapes with easy electric fence posts daily/weekly (whatever you are doing), but not the coop, and only move the coop every week or two. Is that a possibility?

I am thinking about making a portable coop out of an old wagon/trailer, and then using electric chicken netting on a solar charger. Next year’s project!

3. tx203grower

Mar 14, 2013
    Bell County, TX
    Yea, that could be a possibility. I do like the tractor type, that's pretty much the reason I made the post. I want to see what kind of ideas I can group together and figure something out. I have seen similar to mine without the handles and a sort of hitch instead. This would allow the coop to be moved in similar fashion using a sitting lawnmower or ATV. This is the design phase, and time is actually on my side. I don't plan on building until the spring. I'm sure I can get something drawn up between now and then, especially with ideas from folks like yourself. Thanks!

4. sarahsunshine

sarahsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
  5. tx203grower

Mar 14, 2013
    Bell County, TX

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by