I want to make sure my free-range chickens lay in the coop!

moodyALchicken

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 2, 2013
I have raised chickens in the past, but it was on our 5 acre farm in the middle of no-where. My girls laid their eggs in the barn or coop no problem. We now live in a more residential area, not too close to neighbors though. My husband built my coop and we have some pullets. I want them eventually to be free-range. My question is- should I keep them locked up until they start laying or let them out in a week or so and assume that they will lay in the coop? Thanks for any advice!

Mine mostly lay in their boxes. I have one that doesn't like to...I keep having to "remind" her to come back inside.

They are fairly trainable. Don't let them loose until 2 pm. By then 95% of them will have laid. Once you sense that everyone has "got it figured out", and two weeks is about the minimum for this, then slowly release them earlier. 1 pm, etc. I honestly don't see the need to release them first thing in the morning. These summer days are plenty long. Letting them go at 1 pm still gives them a solid 8 hour work day in the fields. LOL

You'll find, however, that if you have neighbors within 1/4 mile, that eventually free range birds will indeed wander that far. How do I know? I have had to buy lots of flowers and other fancy plants as restitution penalties to keep neighborhood peace. I don't allow far ranging anymore. Plus, the threats of predation means a greater loss as we have migrated to keeping more valuable, bred to standard birds.

My chickens are free range. I found my first egg this week, but it's been about 4 days ago and I haven't seen another one. They have a lot of wooded areas to explore, so I'm hoping they aren't starting to lay out there. But they are just now old enough to lay. They are outside from 6 am until about 9 pm. If I keep them cooped up until 2pm, what will they do all day in there? Will they run around or will they stay up on the roost? Sorry if that is a silly question. I just made them some new nesting boxes yesterday and put some golf balls in there to show them where to lay. Should I just wait and see what happens? Maybe that first egg was a fluke and the rest of them aren't ready yet.

***Two hours later: I walked in to find a hen in the new nesting box laying an egg!! It's so exciting!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice! I had my girls a total of 5 days before a neighbors dogs (she has 6) ripped apart my coop and killed all my birds. We have photos of her dogs with my dead birds and photos of dead birds and feathers in her yard. Neighbors came forward and have given evidence that the dogs are a nuisance. We have filed a "vicious dog" complaint and property damage with the local police dept. Who were very cooperative. We will be filing a restitution claim against her too. We took photos and called the police, we live in a fairly residential area. She was sure that her dogs were not responsible, even though she had dead birds in the yard. I will keep you posted, as I know this happens more frequently than we would like. Our court date is 9/12/13.

Sorry for the loss! Interesting that the neighbor would not just reimburse you for the chickens. I would consider a perimeter fence for your yard or at least a fence for the chicken free range area if you decide to get more chickens. The coop should be a fortified solid build and the run should have fencing that cannot be ripped open or dug under by a predator. We have a dog pack of 7 dogs on our farm and the chickens/goats free range within a 4' no-climb fence with no problems.

As for your initial question: Provide little or no other hideaways for your chickens to lay eggs other than the coop nest boxes. This will ensure that they lay in the coop. It can be time consuming to go on an egg hunt every day! With secure areas, they can free range at 7 or 8 weeks of age.

I've been reading this thread with interest since I'm letting my chickens free range, and I'm concerned about them laying in their nesting box. I have two Buff Orpingtons and two Barred Rocks that are about 18 weeks old. The Barred Rocks' combs and wattles are turning red which is neat to watch. But they seem to be redder sometimes than other times. Do they become more red with heat? It's awfully hot down here in Texas, and when my hens get to running around, their combs seem redder.

Thanks for all the advice! I had my girls a total of 5 days before a neighbors dogs (she has 6) ripped apart my coop and killed all my birds. We have photos of her dogs with my dead birds and photos of dead birds and feathers in her yard. Neighbors came forward and have given evidence that the dogs are a nuisance. We have filed a "vicious dog" complaint and property damage with the local police dept. Who were very cooperative. We will be filing a restitution claim against her too. We took photos and called the police, we live in a fairly residential area. She was sure that her dogs were not responsible, even though she had dead birds in the yard. I will keep you posted, as I know this happens more frequently than we would like. Our court date is 9/12/13.

So sorry for your loss-- we were lucky to have most of our yard (its 2acres) fenced in when we bought it-- I guess the chickens could squeeze thru the side cattle gate but have shown no inclination to do so,so far (its pretty dry dusty and dead on that side and borders the neighbors dirt access road that is little utilized)-- I would also suggest getting some sort of perimeter fencing up....Just sort of a guideline for (hopefully ) your next set of chickens)- I also found a Roo to be very useful as well-- he leads his hens around, watches over them while they eat (he barely eats he is so busy overseeing his girls)--
And a dog or two can also be useful...sorry to say this, after the loss you suffered-- (our other dog killed 8 the first 6months she was adjusting to country life after living in the city all her life)--so I can relate-- but not to the obnoxious (in denial) neighbors--
It does take time to acclimatize dog to chickens, but we have found one of the best flock protectors, and to ward off loose roaming dogs-- is a dog or two of your own-- even those not normally seen as protective breeds-- ex our goofy marshmallow of a Bernese Mt dog, has been quite territorial and will not tolerate any other strange dogs on our land (hence away from our chickens)! And stays up half the night scanning to see if anything comes onto our land and then is off barking to keep it away...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom