I want to put a collar on my hen, what type should I use?

That's a prime age for flying.

They'll have one more juvenile molt and then should start settling down.

I would definitely not try to fit a collar on them because they're still growing rapidly. I have some pullets about this age and I'm checking their leg bands twice a week to make sure they're not getting too tight.
What do I do in the mean time tho. I have already lost two chickens because they got out and another one is missing right now. We have tried so hard to keep them safe and in the pan but its so hot so we have to let them out of their coop. Today is a high of 97°

What do I do in the mean time tho. I have already lost two chickens because they got out and another one is missing right now. We have tried so hard to keep them safe and in the pan but its so hot so we have to let them out of their coop. Today is a high of 97°

Cover their pen. Or, at least, cover a smaller section that you can confine them to.

Can you take a photo of the fence?

I use an open pen that I can't cover because I use mobile electric poultry netting, but if your fence is stationary you could consider putting netting over the pen.

Alternately, some people have managed to contain birds by raising the fence with some kind of floppy material that they can't land on top of. Chickens rarely fly up and over an obstacle, preferring to land on top of it then go down the other side
could a chicken saddle/hen apron have a velcro pocket added or do they fit too loosely

Thats what i wondered. Could I leave a chicken harness on them all the time or would they get to hot, or get mites?

This is the type of fencing we have around the coop

Attachments

• Capture+_2022-07-12-10-02-49.png
    Capture+_2022-07-12-10-02-49.png
    444.9 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom