I want to sell some fertilized eggs this spring...need some advice....

Keri78

Songster
10 Years
Oct 17, 2009
NJ
Hi Everyone!
Here's the situation...I have three roosters each with their own separate breeding areas/pens.
Roo #1 is a Standard Black Cochin
Roo #2 is a Banty White Frizzle Cochin
Roo#3 is a Banty Red Frizzle Cochin

My question is how many girls would you all recommend me putting with each roo. The two bantys are in 5ftX8ft tractors the big boy is free range. I'm realizing that the banty hens are only laying every other day so this makes collecting eggs to ship out a little confusing(to a newbie). So my questions are how many girls, how often do you collect fert. eggs for shipping, and how long o you wait before you ship out a batch of eggs? I know they need to be in the bator by day 7-10 to have the best chance of hatching. Also my chickens are from Ideal hatchery so what would be a reasonable asking price for fert. eggs? Ok..let me have it! Thanks!Keri:D

Quote:
Usually they recommend 10 hens per rooster on average. You need to collect fertile eggs at least once every day! It is best if you can ship eggs no older than two days old. The price depends on how you want to set it.

In breeder pens I would have a ratio of 1:5. This raises your fertility. One male can handle 10+ hens, but fertility goes down. So if you have room or enough coop space, make it one male to 5 hens.

Back
Top Bottom