I was given a Pygmy Pouter pair at a swap meet, how to care for them?

bantyshanty

Oval Office Courier
10 Years
Oct 6, 2009
S.W Pennsylvania
I took two dozen of my half grown and overgrown chickens this morning to the Uniontown, PA buy-sell-trade meet. I got rid of all my cockerels & pet-quality silkies, and as I was leaving, I walked down the aisles trying to give my empty extra boxes away. A man behind the last table saidsaid, "hey would your daughter like my last pair of pigeons?" She'd talked to him, apparently. I thought about it (having said to all the pigeon people " we're waiting till next year") . I told him "my husband would kill me, I can't, possibly, besides, we don't have an area set up yet...".
And now I have this nice pair of Pygmy Pouters. My daughter
love.gif
them. And I didn't bring home any more chickens, so my husband did not kill me after all, as you can see by my posting this.
celebrate.gif

I've thought of getting some pigeons for years, maybe Pygmies, probably not Pouters, which I didn't know existed. I didn't think I'd instantly have them (like the bunnies & the barn kitten from last year's swap meet:rolleyes:).
So what do I do? I have them in a brooder/grow out/guinea pig cage with pine shavings, a platform to roost/sleep on, a dish of organic chick feed, some fruit, some dandelon greens, a water bottle & a small water dish. I am building an aviary for my Seramas to use on warmer winter days, which the pigeons could share. My main concerns are... what do I do with those really long legs, how well do they like the cold, because I can overwinter them inside, but they do need exercise in an aviary, right? And, do they really not fly?

I'm gleaning information online little by little, but I'd appreciate some input from someone with a Pouter breed, and someone who has raised them with, or near, a bantam flock.

Welcome To The World Of Pigeons . First Pigmys Are One Of The Friendiest Breeds The Club Logo Is World Greatest Show Bird .first They Are Like Any Other Pigeon Draft Free And Dry Houseing I Feed Mine 16% Layer Pellets . A Three By Three By Three Foot Cage Would Be Fine For One Pair .they Can Take The Cold Well Most Of The Pigmy Breeders That Specialize In Them Live In The Northern Part Of The Us And Canada .the Annual Meet For Them Is In Fremont Ohio In January. There Legs Do Not Need Much Care Just Common Sense Pick The Birds Up By Placeing Hand Over The Top Of The Wings Do Not Try Holding The Legs They Are Usually Better To Raise When Weather Is Warmer And Stable Some Use Feeders But They Can Raise There Own Thats Why I Like The Pellets Vs. Grain . There Are Some Links At The Usanpa.com With Some Of The Pouter Clubs In The Us

My chickens do not like my pigeons.When i let them out to fly and the pigeons land on the ground the chickens atack my pigeons.
I raise picas wich are a type of spainish pouter,they dont stand up as tall as the pygmys do.Pouters are known for sour crop wich is caused by eating and drinking too much.Also,you might to add bird seed to the chick feed.They dont need the fruit or greens.
I would build them a 2x2ft pen with a nest box filled with pine needels.Make sure that each bird has a perch.
You can go to www.4hillspoultry.com to see pics of my breeder pens.
If you have any more questions just let me know.

Thanks,
Logan

Thanks Larrylofts & Logan, for the great info. I'll fid them on the layer feed, then, with added seed.
One thing about these pouters I don't understand. They seem to have such spindly little legs and seem very awkward on them.
Did I get a pair that wasn't raised well & allowed to walk enough, maybe? Their foot feathers are broken quite short, for the most part. I should post pics. maybe tomorrow.

The second question is, would they prefer a nest box that is more closed in than a chicken nest box?
I'll keep them in a 20" x 40 " plastic and metal rabbit cage for the winter, with pine needles and a nest box.

Should I separate them for a bit each day so I can get acquainted with each one? The female is pre-laying age, and the male is newly mature. He seems to have only been paired up with her recently and they haven't established a bonded relationship. I'm drawing conclusions after a few hours' observation by comparing them to my pair of Seramas who are (forced) monogamous, or to parrot-family birds I've had.

Do pigmy pouters need to practice flight each day, or just walking? I can take them to the aviary to fly each day. Is this good?

I wouldn't separate them. They like company. As far as getting to know them,they proably will never be as hand tame as chickens can be,most pigeons just aren't that way. They will do good with either open top nest or boxed in nest. On some of the smaller types of pigeons I find acrumble feed easier for them to eat than a pellet. I would also add some garin,they love milo and in cold cold weather will eat corn chops, which is good because it keeps them warm at night. Pouters always seem a little awkward on the feet. Especially if they are young. Hope you enjoy them. But beware pigeons are as addictive as chickens!lol

Quote:
Husband got the flu & everything fell apart here while nursing him... pics soon
smile.png

I got them a milo spray stem & hung it from the ceiling & they really like it. I'll make them a loft. They seem like they'll warm up to me, and yes, they're young & their feet look awkward & ridiculous.

I think the male is doing the equivalent of practice-crowing with his pouting. No, I'll never separate them. They got a circumstantial arranged marriage & now they're mates, that's that.
If I got a pair of a different breed, next spring, say (I'm looking at Lahores. They're really nice looking & not too fancy & my DH wants to fly some), I think I would have to house them separately because they're so different. Am I right?

Still no pics, but new question, reposted my first pigeon thread. Water bottles?? Have about 40.

I have all my chickens trained to drink out of hamster & rabbit water bottles. Can I train the pigeons, who are adolescents, to do this, or do they have to drink out of a floor waterer? (Yuck!!)
I know they suck up water (much like rabbits...) instead of throwing the head back. Has anyone tried water bottles?

Pigmys Bred For Show Have Standard That Calls For The Legs To Be Close Togather When Comeing Out Of The Body And At The Knees Spread Out Like A Aframe They Have What Is Called Slippered Covering On The Feet Were There Is Just A Covering Of Feathers Not Heavyly Muffed Like Other Breeds I Think The Pop Bottle Waters Would Be More Natureal For Them Have Seen The Ball Type Waters Used Before And Did Not Care For Them Pigeons Drink Like Horses And Suck The Water Also When They Get Bath Water They Will Drink It

Back
Top Bottom