I was just wondering......

JerBear

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 2, 2011
Southern Illinois
I'm new to the pure breed chicken thing. I'm a go down to Rural King in the spring and pick up some chicks and let that be the done of it. But I like the idea of maybe showing some birds and raising "cool" and odd breeds of chickens.

I raised rabbits since I was in high school. Just backyard pet/meat rabbits, nothing special. Then I got into showing them and had Flemish, Americans, English Lops, French Lops, Dwarfs, Angoras, ect.

Now with the rabbits, I had individual cages, running pens, and pens for does with litters. How do you guys set up your breeder pens for your broods? I can't imagine you having a big run for a pair or trio of birds. I saw a young gentlemen that had rabbit like pens built for his broods and a place to exercise them. Is this how everyone does iT?

Just wondering.......

Jerry

A set up like you describe will work with a few modifications. A trio or quad of chickens need as place to roost and shelter from the weather. They will also need a run, that they will use during the day.

I recommend that you look through the section on coops here on BYC. That should give you good ideas on what or chicken need for housing.

Best wishes on your future of showing chickens.

Back
Top Bottom