1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I was just wondering......

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JerBear, Oct 7, 2011.

1. JerBear

JerBear Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2011
    Southern Illinois
    I'm new to the pure breed chicken thing. I'm a go down to Rural King in the spring and pick up some chicks and let that be the done of it. But I like the idea of maybe showing some birds and raising "cool" and odd breeds of chickens.

I raised rabbits since I was in high school. Just backyard pet/meat rabbits, nothing special. Then I got into showing them and had Flemish, Americans, English Lops, French Lops, Dwarfs, Angoras, ect.

Now with the rabbits, I had individual cages, running pens, and pens for does with litters. How do you guys set up your breeder pens for your broods? I can't imagine you having a big run for a pair or trio of birds. I saw a young gentlemen that had rabbit like pens built for his broods and a place to exercise them. Is this how everyone does iT?

Just wondering.......

Jerry

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    A set up like you describe will work with a few modifications. A trio or quad of chickens need as place to roost and shelter from the weather. They will also need a run, that they will use during the day.

I recommend that you look through the section on coops here on BYC. That should give you good ideas on what or chicken need for housing.

Best wishes on your future of showing chickens.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
  4. JerBear

JerBear Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2011
    Southern Illinois
    Thanks for the link.

I was talking about hanging or hutch type cages. Then they were taking them out to exercise them.

Jerry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by