1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I was told this was an Araucana but these people have failed before

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BantamWhisperer, Jan 14, 2013.

1. I bought a chicken from this place before and they told me it was a Ameraucana and it was the size of a japanese and never laid an egg. it looked like a Ancona bantam or something, but thats another bird from there. The one i'm asking about is very pretty and i bought his mate. I was told Araucana... Is this correct?

The female is on the far left. male on far right. middle is a mottled cochin i bought with them and i also bought a frizzled plymouth barred rock.
    [​IMG]

Bought this one too! I was told he was a Dutch Bantam... Is he?

[​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    no those are not araucana. cant really see the hen but the roo looks to have game fowl in him

the dutch looks right though poor quility

3. I will post clearer pics ASAP!

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    x2 ture araucanas have no tails and can have tuffs by their ears

5. Frizzle13

Frizzle13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Aracaunas often do hav tails I know this as I hav some but those are not aracaunas

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    not in the USA, true araucanas don't have a tail. Ameraicanas have tails and so do the hatchery araucanas/ ameraicanas which in reality are easter eggers

heres some pictures of my true araucana roosters

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is a cross of araucana and a silkie that came off with the tuffs that araucana can get

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    It's not an Araucana either by USA or by UK/AU definitions. If it was USA, it would be missing the final peice of it's spine (rendering it tail-less). And it most definitely would NOT have a straight comb.

If it was UK/AU, it would have a vaulted skull.

They are barnyard mixes with heavy game influence. Sorry.

8. I honestly don't care about the whole " Purebred " birds! I get what I get and when they're on the farm they stay on the farm! [​IMG]

Thanks! I will post clearer pics ASAP

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    dont forget that there are tailed araucana here that are used in breedings but again they are not araucana but they maybe ee's if they carry they blue egg laying gene

10. YES! That's it! That's what I forgot to say! There was a TINY blue egg in their cage

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by