I was wondering about Popcorn...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MiniBeesKnees, Jan 12, 2010.

1. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

Not as a diet but as a treat. With the cold weather they have been cooped up (pun intended) a lot and boredom seems to have set in. I was thinking of popping a bag of microwave popcorn and tossing it around in there. Seeds and Scratch feed gets lost in the foot of straw on the floor...I figured they'd see the popcorn.
    Terry in TN

2. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    I would try and find low sodium popcorn.

3. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd probably be better off just buying bag of regular popcorn and popping it in a pan without any salt...
    I'm on a salt restricted diet and did notice the microwave stuff tasted saltier than I'm used to.
    Thanx for the hint..
    Terry in TN

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Buy large bags at Sam's and it wont have any salt at all
    You can get 25 and 50 lb bags

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    We sell popcorn at school every Friday. My chickens and ducks know when Friday is and they race my truck down the driveway!

6. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    I popped some plain pop corn in oil, no salt, and gave it to mine. They devoured it, so I say go for it. Just don't use microwave pop corn as its loaded with salt and other junk.

7. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    If we have popcorn left that we do not eat it goes to the chickens. Usually once a week. Ours is microwave with extra butter. So I would not worry as long as it is not a steady diet. Chickens need a little salt too.

8. MHF

MHF Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2008
    Durham, NC
    My girls love leftover popcorn as a treat. Microwave popcorn with butter once a week and they are fine with it.

9. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    my chickens love pop corn so much i had to buy a popcorn machine at sam's with a 50 lbs bag of popcorn to keep up with then they just go crazy over it, ok ok me toocouse i love it just as much [​IMG]

10. monaandthechicks

monaandthechicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2009
    MA.
    Quote:that is so funny!!!!! I fed my chickens popcorn the other day and I swear that all looked at me and thanked me!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by