I watched my hen die suddenly. But what caused it?

Laceyrey

Hatching
Jan 15, 2024
My 1 1/2 year old Silkie hen died a bizarre death right in front of me this evening.

For about the past week she hasn’t left the coop, and has been all bunched up with her head held in tight to her body. I assumed it was because of the snow storms we’ve been having… but tonight I brought her into the house and put her in our hen cage for sick or injured hens, hoping that would make her feel better. I had fresh food and water in there for her, and I went to the store and bought epson salt hoping a warm bath would help if she was egg bound.

All of a sudden, about 90 minutes after I brought her in, when I was standing right by her cage, she squawked so loud and started thrashing around the cage. Immediately I opened the cage and put my hand on her to comfort her; she fell over right then with blood coming out of her mouth and died.

Does anyone know what happened to her?? It was quite traumatic and I feel awful it was her end of life.

It could literally be a hundred different things. That is what necropsies are for. What state are you in?
I've had birds die suddenly which was usually a heart attack. I've had birds die after going downhill a week or more and it was cancer. So it isn't necessarily an avian related affliction. There are dozens of bacterial, viral, protozoal, fungal, etc. potential causes other than just genetic causes. Were there any other symptoms other than lethargy?
How old was she and was she actively laying eggs?

It could literally be a hundred different things. That is what necropsies are for. What state are you in?
I've had birds die suddenly which was usually a heart attack. I've had birds die after going downhill a week or more and it was cancer. So it isn't necessarily an avian related affliction. There are dozens of bacterial, viral, protozoal, fungal, etc. potential causes other than just genetic causes. Were there any other symptoms other than lethargy?
How old was she and was she actively laying eggs?
We are in CA. She seemed fine other than not wanting to do much in the last week ish. She was 1 1/2 and she was laying until very recently. She did have an egg in her chest that feels intact.

If she had
an egg in her chest that feels intact.
then my guess is she most likely died of egg yolk peritonitis.

You could do a necropsy yourself, or if you want more professional results, you can send the body to a state lab. If you do that, keep the body refridgerated, but don't freeze it.
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

I'm sorry you lost her. :hugs

UC Davis has a great vet school. Some of their necropsies are free.
California Animal Health & Food Safety Laboratory University of California, School of Veterinary Med 620 West Health Science DriveDavis, California 95616Phone: 530-752-8709
In most cases, if you call them they'll send you a FedEx label to ship your animal to them.

Back
Top Bottom