I will not incubate them, I will not incubate them, I will not ....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Denninmi, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I think I need to write this 300 times on the chalkboard before I can go home!

My Rouen hen is laying again after about a 3 week hiatus. I'd taken the earlier eggs away, ate them during the winter and early spring, and then hatched some of the April and early May ones in the incubator. I ended up with 5 healthy ducklings out of about 2 dozen eggs that went in the incubator. Many of them were held WAY too long, and some had dirty shells.

She is now laying again. It's SO tempting to hatch more -- I've got button quail set to hatch on the 4th (Born on the 4th of July!). Having had chicks, turkeys, and ducklings this spring, I can honestly say ducklings are by far the cutest, sweetest little birds (but also by far the messiest!).

But, I don't NEED any more ducks. REALLY.

This batch really should go to the kitchen. But, how would I explain it to the rest of the family?

Perhaps a chorus of "Mommas, don't let your babies grow up to be omlettes?"[​IMG]

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Forget it....just INCUBATE THEM! You know you want more little ducklings!

3. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    [​IMG]
    Look how cute they are, you know you want more lol![​IMG] [​IMG]

4. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    LOL, I don't 'need' any more either yet I just brought home some eggs from a friends house over the weekend [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  5. jackiesmamachick

jackiesmamachick Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    haha it is really hard not to incubate them as they are so cute just tell the kids the eggs were store bought:lol:

6. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    You know you're gonna. You know they're calling your name and saying, "Incubate us. Incubate us." [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by