I Woke Up With A Mouse In My Bed

dangerouschicken

Will Barter For Coffee
12 Years
May 6, 2007
Columbia Gorge, OR
My cat has been bringing us presents. The feral cats around our property have been teaching our housecat how to mouse. Now she's bringing us her kills.

We are out in the country, so it's not uncommon to see the feral cats, running down the orchard road, away from the barn, with a mouse in their mouths. The barn is 100 years old and unused, and there are mice a plenty hanging out in there. The feral cats bring the mice onto our lawn and have big picnics out there. I have a feeling our housecat has been taking notes and sampling the potluck.

Our housecat wouldn't touch a mouse when we lived in Texas. I actually took photos of her sitting with a mouse that got into our kitchen once, both of them looking all buddy buddy. Now our cat has become a huntress and protector of our home. She wants to show off and feed us with her proud work.

The first few we found randomly on the floor; in the dining room, in the office, in the kitchen, etc. Then they started showing up in our bedroom, first next to the dresser, then next to the bed, sometimes whole, sometimes partial. Once we found one in our daughter's playpen AND she was sleeping in there! It was whole and our daughter had not touched it, thank God! Maybe my cat was trying to feed the baby?

So I shouldn't be surprised when I got up to pee and discovered a dead field mouse lying on the flannel sheets. It was intact and sort of cute, but not something I would want to sleep with. Who knows if I had been cuddling with it, rolling on it, nuzzling with it, or even spooning with it?
sickbyc.gif

I made my husband throw it out and change the sheets. We are betting on where the next dead mouse will be found. My husband says floating in the aquarium or inside the DVD player. I say on the high chair tray or in my box of tampons. Apparently, for our housecat, dead mice are welcome everywhere.

Last edited:
you are so witty, this is why i love to read your blog!

we have 3 house(ish) cats, so i can sympathize. 1 eats her kills the other two just drag them home for praise. thankfully mine leave them in the garage though.
wink.png

My cat can't access our garage or I'm sure we'd find them there, too.

ACTUALLY we do find weird stuff in the garage already. We had a snake in there this summer, and when my dad got his snow tires out, there was a dead mouse in there, but that had nothing to do with the housecat, unfortunately.

Weirdest thing we found in our garage? A bomb from WWII! The country sheriff and bomb squad came out and removed it.

bomb.jpg

Thanks for reading the blog (and for the compliment). The blog is a labor of love. This story is today's entry.
smile.png

Last edited:
At least she didn't leave it lying on your pillow as a wake up suprise. Can you imagine waking up and having that thing come slowly into focus? Heck, I'd still be screaming.

Your funny post reminded me - one of my friends was a field worker for the USFS and had to camp out on long stays. A mouse moved into their camp, and one cold morning, he woke up with the (live) mouse spooning him inside his sleeping bag!

Eeeeeekk!

Back
Top Bottom